Live To Love, Not To Impress

Live To Love, Not To Impress

We don't have to impress Jesus. He loves us as we are.

28
https://www.pexels.com/photo/three-persons-sitting-on-the-stairs-talking-with-each-other-1438072/
Pexels.com

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." - Luke 10:38-42

You know when your parents come to town? You try to clean your room, take the garbage out, fold your laundry, and try to make it look like you don't live in a messy place. Well, that's exactly what Martha was doing here. Jesus entered her house and she wanted to impress Him. She tried fixing her house up to make it look pleasing to Him while her sister, Mary, was just chilling with Jesus probably talking about His sandals or something. Martha didn't understand why Mary was not helping her and why Jesus was allowing that.

See the thing about Jesus is that we don't have to impress Him with the way our house looks. Jesus knew that Martha was tired and troubled. He knew that she needed rest so He told her to follow Mary's example, and relax and spend time with Him.

God knows us so well. He knows our minds, our thoughts, our actions, our hearts, our feelings, and everything else about us. We don't need to try and impress Him, because He loves us unconditionally. We do not deserve the love He gives us in the first place.

God cares about our hearts. He wants us to spend time with Him and love Him. We have to spend time with Him so that we can pour His love and grace out to others. If we aren't replenished by Him daily, then we will get to the point where we can't give anything to anyone. He knows that we need to rest and spend time with Him alone. So I encourage you to be like Mary, and spend time with Jesus, learning about Him so that you can love others just how He loves us.