23 Things I Learned About Living My Best Life At 23

I mean, I still like you when you're 23.

1059
Author's photo

They say nobody likes you when you're 23, but honey you are so wrong. You start to realize that there's way more to life than pleasing the people who set up this perfect path to success for you. Tell them no, you have to do it in your own way.

1. Never be sorry for going after the things that you want.

If you don't chase them now, when will you? The world is literally yours. This is your time to make your life how you want it. You are the only one in control of that. Grab those dreams of yours and make them come true. Do not let anyone stop you.

2. You only failed if you didn't try.

As clichè as it is, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Reach for the stars and do it with everything you have in you. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. You will always be able to look back and say, no I didn't get it- but I put my whole self in to try. If you didn't make the cut, then it just wasn't meant to be. You tried and that's what counts.

3. Jobs are REALLY hard to find when you're fresh out of college.

Prepare yourself for a plethora of rejection emails. You start to realize just how many people are in this world, who are trying to make it the same way you are. When you are a fresh graduate, dipping your toes in the real world is scary, hard and honestly draining.

You can't let it get to you, just keep moving forward. You never know what's to come, but you can't give up. Especially if they're only taking one person for the position, out of the thousands who applied. Nothing personal.

4. Life works a lot better when you just go with the flow.

Ease your way in. Say yes to what you want. Take it one day at a time and live in the moment. It's hard to not look seven steps into the future, but don't. You have no idea what's to come, but might as well take advantage of what you have right in front of you. Just go with it, trust your intuition and live every day to it's fullest.

5. You always end up happier when you go into things without expectations.

Going along with that, what I've really learned this year is life doesn't always work as you plan or as you hope, it's actually sometimes better. You'll do just fine, it always will work out, but it's better to not think too much going into things. You never know what adventure you will stumble upon.

6. Some of your friends will start getting engaged or even having kids; do not be sorry if you're not ready for that.

You have to do things at your own pace. Life will fall into place when you let it. Every story is different. You will meet the person who you're meant to be with, but that's your forever. There is so much life to be lived, in a relationship or not.

You're literally just starting the whole on your own thing. It's okay to not even be remotely ready to commit to sharing every single thing with someone. If you are, and you met that person that's amazing and you should hold on to that, but if you haven't it's really okay. You will eventually.

7. You start to feel like you're getting old, but you're not.

Listen, twenty-three is your prime time to embrace this new freedom. You should still be staying out till 2 a.m., laughing until you can't breathe, and seeing as much of this world as possible. You're just starting this whole "adult" thing, but whose to say you can't have fun with it?

8. It's okay if you're a little unstable.

It's totally fine if you don't even know what state you're going to be living next month. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Does anyone really know what they're doing at this age? We're all still figuring it out.

9. SAY YES TO ADVENTURES.

Take the week off of work, pack as lightly as possible, get on the plane or hop in your car and just GO. Climb to the top of the Sears Tower, watch the first snowfall in the middle of Times Square, drive down to Miami and soak up the sun. What's really stopping you?

10. The destination is nothing without enjoying the journey.

Nothing beats a good road trip. Stopping at every moment that catches your eye, having those deep conversations about the things that you believe in and just being free.

11. What really makes for a good life is the people who you share it with.

When you have a best friend, a go-to squad, a significant other-- it doesn't matter where you are, it's the people who you go with that really make the adventure. The stories that you share, the moments that made you fall on the floor with laughter-- that's what this life is all about.

12. Get your butt out of bed and go out.

If your friends call you at 4 p.m. to go to Foxwoods randomly that night and you don't have anything else to do... what's stopping you? Go, go, go!

13. You should not push away the guys/girls who you like.

This is my biggest issue. I'm always thinking, when are they going to ghost me, when are they going to hurt me? I always think since I really don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going to be living that I shouldn't mix someone into my mess of a life.I learned that I'm limiting myself, by pushing away-- that's what's hurting more.

If you find someone who you like, take it day by day with no expectations. You don't know where your future will lead you, but you're here in this moment now. Regardless of where you've been or where you're going-- its good to have that person to share it.

14. Let down your giant cement walls.

So maybe you haven't had the best past, but that's your past. You can't let it affect your now. Blocking people out and being shy when in reality, you're the least shy person out there is doing nothing for you. Stop being so afraid to let people in and show them who you are. Embrace it with all you got.

15. Give yourself time to chill.

Being as extroverted as I am, relaxing is not something that I'm good at. But yes, even you who runs off of Dunkin' and endless energy does, in fact, need time to unwind. Even if you're recharging with people, like what you're doing right now-- listening to music chilling and writing. It's very important to give yourself time to do that.

16. It's good to go into your own little world.

When you get involved in something, really involved-- blocking the rest of the world out to put your whole self into it is a good thing. Don't be sorry for that. Pour your passions, you'll be shocked to see what you will create.

17. That whole timeline thing where people expect you to do stuff, yeah no. Do it at your own pace.

I've never understood why people map out this perfect life for you. It doesn't always work like that. So what if you didn't finish college at 21, maybe you didn't get a job right away, maybe you needed time to figure out just exactly what it is you want in this world. What's the problem with that?

18. There's more to life than crying over the people who don't care about you.

Okay, seriously this is important. Why waste your time being upset over people who don't want to give you the time of day? If they don't want to be in your life, that's their loss. Keep doing you.

19. Moving away from your parents is probably the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

At 23, living at home is not an ideal situation. Yes, it's a good way to save money and don't get me wrong family is great and all, but you're never going to experience complete freedom if you're still living by their rules. Get out there kid, you got this.

20. "It's better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."

You have to be the one in charge. Create your own path, don't follow the in shadows of others. This is your story, remember that.

21. Sip every moment in slowly.

Be fully there. Take it slow, but when your ready-- move forward. There's literally nothing to be afraid of.

22. It is okay to put off your responsibilities to enjoy time with your friends.

As long as it gets done, go have fun. You'll be happier making memories then anything else.

23. Don't feel like you have to have this perfect map written out.

Take it as it comes, take on 24 the way you want to. Life will fall into place if you let it.