The Pop Of A Vinyl Record and 9 Other Little Things You Should Appreciate More

The Pop Of A Vinyl Record, And 9 Other Little Things You Should Appreciate More

Because we often forget to appreciate the little things.

70

Life seems to be a tragic combination of never-ending to-do lists, things to stress about, money problems, and days that are too short to get everything done. I spend 98% of my day grinding my teeth without even realizing it because my mind is going in about 12 different directions at any given time. I actively try (and usually fail) to remind myself to breathe and relax. However, these 10 things without fail help me unclench my jaw and relax my shoulders and I think we should all appreciate them a little more.

1. The popping sounds that vinyl records make

c1.staticflickr.com

This might be one of my favorite sounds in the whole world. A few years ago I bought a 30 dollar record player off Amazon and dusted off the old vinyls my grandma had piled up in her garage and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The Billy Joel record that I have makes the perfect popping sounds and it instantly relaxes me.

2. The smell of rain

c1.staticflickr.com

Unfortunately, I can't smell this in the winter, but it's something I appreciate a lot in the spring and summer.

3. A brand new notebook

c1.staticflickr.com

If you like to journal this is basically the best thing ever. A fresh set of pages to write on, doodle on, accidentally spill coffee on, or whatever else your heart desires.

4. Coffee or tea in your favorite mug

Jenna Collins

I own an excessive amount of mugs for just one person. I definitely have my favorites though and it's always a good day when I get to have my morning coffee in one of my favorite mugs.

5. Ordering your favorite take out food

https://giphy.com/gifs/gilmore-girls-rory-DJ7PtBjfoLpOo

Nothing is better than the nights that I decide to spend a little extra money and order a pizza or order from my favorite Chinese food place down the street.

6. Sleeping in on a Saturday

https://giphy.com/gifs/impastortv-tv-land-tvland-l0MYRDatCAISUM3ba

I do a pretty good job of appreciating this one already, but it still deserves to be on this list. Being able to wake up naturally to the sunshine coming through the window instead of my alarm startling me awake is the best feeling.

7. Laughing until you can't breathe

https://giphy.com/gifs/laughing-despicable-me-minions-ZqlvCTNHpqrio

I put this on here mainly so I could have the chance to say that my sister accidentally Facebook live streamed herself going to the bathroom for a few seconds on Christmas morning in this article (sorry, sis). However, they do say that laugher is the best medicine and it's definitely a stress reliever. Those moments when you are laughing so hard you can't even tell someone else why you're laughing so hard are priceless.

8. Opening a new jar of peanut butter

c1.staticflickr.com

The first scoop out of the jar somehow tastes the best. I don't have any scientific facts to back up my opinion, but I know that it's the truth.

9. Hearing your favorite song on the radio/in public

https://giphy.com/gifs/noahcyrus-singing-cyrus-xT39DmfBLpFpHB6llm

It's one thing to hit play on your own and listen to it, but I always get this little jolt of excitement whenever I hear my favorite song unexpectedly and it always puts a smile on my face.

10. Starting your favorite TV series from the beginning

c1.staticflickr.com

Whenever I need to relax and unwind I love the familiarity of season 1 episode 1 of my favorite show.

In a world where social media and the news can easily convince you that the world is an awful place it's nice to focus on the small things that can bring you a little happiness.