My Little Sister Is My Better Half

My Little Sister Is My Better Half

I ate my sister's birthday cake ice cream, so here's an article to make up for it.

415
My Little Sister Is My Better Half

I named my sister after a goose.

This is a story that I love to tell simply because it is the one thing that she cannot escape. Her bruises have faded from the times I threw my Barbie dolls at her; she has forgiven me for stealing her clothes, but she cannot forget the fact that I named her after a goose.

In my defense, at the time that my sister was born, I was only three-years-old, and I had a fascination with the movie "The Aristocats." So, it is only fitting that my sister be named after a character from one of my childhood movies – not just any character, though. She is named after the goose, Abigail.

What can I say? It’s a family classic.

Being a big sister has taught me a lot about life – mostly that I am an impatient person and that I am 10 times as obsessed with glitter than my sister will ever be. She and I are not the same person. In fact, we could not be any more different. Where I am obsessed with Taylor Swift and "Star Trek," she is obsessed with My Chemical Romance and Tim Burton films. Where I am aggressive and noisy, she is passive and quiet.

The yin to my yang, my best friend.

If I’m being honest, my sister told me she would pay me $20 to write an article about her this week and I have to make up for the fact that I ate her birthday cake ice cream (sorry, not sorry). Since I have to talk about her anyway, I’d like to highlight a few things that are an integral part of my sister and I's relationship.

My sister is my better half.

I am the wild child, the free spirit, the socialite; she is the down-to-earth philosopher. In everything that freaks me out and causes me to stress, she is there to tell me to calm down. My sister quite literally keeps me sane, even when she drives me insane. There is something wonderful about having someone who levels you out and reminds you that not everything has to be pink and covered in glitter.

When you have the same taste in music, car rides are the best part of the day.

My sister and I are guilty of volunteering to run to Walmart just to drive around and listen to music. There was a point in time where I only listened to Taylor Swift and she only listened to Panic! At the Disco; now that our tastes exist in harmony, car rides are the things that I look forward to. Plus, listening to my quiet sister rap all of Hamilton never gets old.

Arguments are never worth it.

While we do not argue like we used to, my sister and I are guilty of getting into the occasional spat over who’s been in the shower longer, who has to call mom, and who has to take the dog out. The biggest thing that I’ve taken away from our arguments is that they are never worth it. I appreciate this more now that I’m in college and have found that I actually miss my sister on occasions. Maybe this is why our arguments have become fewer and farther in between: I’ve learned that the time I get to spend with her is not worth being filled with little fights.

Time spent together is time well spent.

While we are not Tina Fey and Amy Poehler in Sisters and we do not party together, my favorite time is time that I get to spend with my sister. I’m flattered to say that she even enjoys spending time with me. According to her friends, I am even the cool older sister – this, to me, is equivalent to winning an Oscar. My sister once came and spent a week at college with me; that speaks volumes about our relationship. Even though I forgot to feed her a few times (I’m kidding), and had to run between class and the apartment, she was happy to go along with anything that my day entailed, whether that was watching Netflix or running errands. Sometimes, I actually miss her being here. I don’t have anyone to make my bed up for me after I leave for class (Again. Kidding. Kind of.)

There are a million lessons that I could point out, but those are the highlights. Those who don’t have a sister may not understand the unbreakable bond that exists; it is my favorite bond. I always know that my sister will be there for me when I need her, and more than that, I will always be there for her. She is my right-hand, my partner in crime, and the person who I look up to despite the fact that she is both younger and shorter than me. In all truth, my sister is a better version of myself, and I am so proud that I get to call her mine.