Little Papi

Little Papi

The Man Himself

2513
Little Papi
Wikipedia

I’m not sure where the helmet came from, but there it was sitting on my desk. Its trademark Boston “B” looked hand-painted and shone in the harsh dormitory light. It looked like the kind of thing you’d get ice cream in at a ballpark, so I decided to keep it. I was using it as a cup to hold the strawberries that I had with dinner when a tiny David Ortiz waltzed into the room with all of the swagger you’d expect out of a 1 foot 8 inch man of his prestige. He asked what I was doing with his helmet and I apologized, saying that I had no idea it was his. I finished the strawberries, rinsed the helmet out, and handed it to him. He donned it, along with a pair of tiny sunglasses, and asked if I’d help him with batting practice. I tried to explain that I hadn’t played baseball in many years but he insisted. His tiny sunglasses were round and odd for a ballplayer, but they hid fierce eyes that meant business, so I agreed.

I handed him an unsharpened pencil to use as a bat, and began lobbing skittles to him as he swatted them across the room. We used erasers for the bases, and I built him a tiny Green Monster out of the cultures class textbooks that I never used. One skittle he hit so high that it bounced off the ceiling tile and he asked me if that would count as a homerun like it did if a ball hit the catwalk in Tropicana Field. I shrugged and said sure, I guess so. At one point, the pencil he was using snapped in half and he asked me what was inside. The last thing he needed was a suspension for using a corked bat, he told me. I explained that it wasn’t cork but graphite, and he had no need to fear. I handed him a pen, a dual sided one that felt heavy and right in his hands. I threw him a skittle, high and outside, and he cranked it all the way across the room, over the couches and the table, into the bathroom where it skittered to a halt. He flipped the pen and trotted around the bases, signed the helmet when he got back, and handed it to me. “Big Papi,” the signature read, and I chuckled.