What You Don't Know About Mail Order Brides

After all, who are we to stop the forces of love? However, we can help make those forces strong and safe.

591
pinterest

No one can define what a bride is. She is a girl that dreams of a bright future. A woman, eagerly waiting to become the world’s greatest mom. Your soul mate. A mail order bride is a woman who lists herself in catalogs (online or some other form) and is then selected by a man or marriage. These women are usually from developing countries such as China, The Philippines, and Korea. Women seeking to become a mail order bride join one of two types of international agencies.

One type of agency sells the women’s contact information and encourages them to meet their potential husband before they actually get married. If an American man wants to use this type, he has to supply mental health and criminal history. Then, he has to meet the woman in person before she can get a US visa. The other type of agency holds “group tours” for the potential husbands who want to travel the world and find a foreign wife at one of the many social events that are hosted by the agency.

Mail order bride agencies should stay legal because no one has the right to prevent the potential for people to find their soul mate. However, these agencies should be put under extensive backgrounds checks and meet proper and legal criteria. There have been many incidents where the bride or the groom haven’t been all they claimed to be. For instance, there was Russian bride named Anastasia King who was strangled by her American groom and then buried in a shallow grave. Although, there have also been cases where the groom was brutally murdered by his foreign bride. Every person and agency involved in the mail order bride process needs to be required to go extensive background checks before proceeding to actual marriage.

The agencies that mail order brides join have to meet certain criteria. For example, under the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005, the husband is required to give their personal finances, criminal arrest records, number of previous marriages, and the number of children they have. Likewise, I believe the bride should give the same information. Such laws as the one previously mentioned, have been enforced due to terrible incidents that have occurred over the years. Another law that has been passed is the Anti-Mail-Order Bride Law in 1990. The law states that the women cannot list themselves as mail order brides to foreign men, but instead, foreign men list themselves as mail order husbands.

To conclude, it is a disgrace that brides and grooms alike manage to get into an agency and then commit murder or fraud. It’s morally unsound. Something else needs to be done. All agencies, companies, brides, and grooms need to be screened. Serious effort must be put into making background searches on all parties involved. The mail order bride name doesn’t deserve to be labeled with names that include murder and scandal and fraud. Brides of every sort deserve the chance to fulfill their dreams of marriage. After all, who are we to stop the forces of love? However, we can help make those forces strong and safe.