Why You Should Always Listen To Your Flight Attendant

"Oxygen and the air pressure are always being monitored. In the event of a decompression, an oxygen mask will automatically appear in front of you.”

52

For those of you who have flown on an airplane, you know exactly where this quote is from. But, for those of you who don’t, this is what the flight attendants are saying while they are giving safety instructions before the plane takes off. They use a model-type oxygen mask just like the one you would have in the case of an emergency, and they go through the steps of how to put them on, and how to use them. After they finish talking about oxygen masks, they move on to another “in the event of an emergency” protocol topic, but before they finish, they say this:

“…secure your mask on first, and then assist others.”

As I was sitting and listening to this flight attendant, getting ready for my flight back home, I couldn’t help but realize what that means to different people. Obviously, she was being very literal. But, it’s true in other ways as well. Throughout the course of our lives, we constantly get caught up in what other people think about us, or other people’s wants and needs. We get so upset and we try to fix everyone and everything except one thing. We try so desperately hard to be a shining light to people in need, but sometimes, in order for us to be a light to others, we must first heal what's broken inside.

Sometimes we need to take care of ourselves first.

That sounded a little selfish. But, think about it. What good does it do anyone for you to be broken, but helping others? You can lead people to Christ all you want, but if you’re not in a solid relationship with Him, it isn’t genuine. I’m not saying you have to be your best self to serve the kingdom of God or to help those in need, but I am saying that no one wants to learn how to paint from a plumber. That being said, I love helping people! I love when people come to me for advice, even if I’m not fully together at that moment. It feels so good knowing that other people are getting the help and support and love that they need - but make sure you’re getting that, too. If you don't get support and love, you'll eventually run out of support and love to give to people.

Don’t let you stand in the way of the love you deserve, even if you don’t think you deserve it. We weren’t put on Earth to be without love. God actually gives us all the love we could ever need and more. But as humans, we have to make sure we’re ready to receive it. God has such an amazing plan for our lives, and doesn't want you to get in the way of your own magnificent life. This world isn't perfect, which means there will be heartbreak and there will be sorrow. But the sorrow and the suffering can only be fixed if you choose to take care of the emotions you feel.

So, go read a book. Say a prayer. Find a dog and pet it. Go to a park. Do whatever you have to do to enjoy your life! Love yourself. There’s already too many people in the world that don’t love themselves. So make sure you put on that oxygen mask because there will always be someone in need, and next time you'll be in a place to help them.

“…please take your seats for landing. We will be landing shortly.”