A List of Books to Binge Read Over Winter Break

Food for thought.

18
Changing Hands Bookstore

When Netflix fails to be entertaining and you are putting off textbook shopping, dive into a good book. Here is a (very) short list of great reads for your winter break.

1. The Necessary Classics

"The Catcher In the Rye"- J.D. Salinger

This novel is short (good news for those that run from books over 250 pages), witty and full of themes that relate to any maturing young adult or above. The language and some of the images can be crude at times, but this is a story that sticks with you; ever present in your memory. This convoluted coming of age story deals with family relationships, growing up, understanding the world, developing sexuality and includes a few dealings with death.

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer"- Mark Twain

These lesson infused adventure stories following two young boys in the rural south are full of violence, race issues, murder, love, sacrifice and friendship that make them a must read or re-read this season. They are on the "longer" side, but they are worth every single page. These recollections of pure and innocent boyhood are a good read for almost everyone.

"A Christmas Carol"- Charles Dickens

Need I say any more? This is the ultimate holiday classic novel and can be understood by all. The read is short but full of spirit, love, understanding and a tad of humor.

2. Interesting or Must Reads

"The Girl You Lost" and " The Girl with No Past"- Kathryn Croft

Croft just recently released two new psychological thrillers that are short, but exciting reads. These novels follow a young girl, a fugitive with a frightening past. Is she running from somewhere? Someone, perhaps? These novels will certainly give you a break from the hundreds of mushy Hallmark Movies that you will most likely be watching.

"All The Light You Can Not See"- Anthony Doerr

This Pulitzer prize winning book is absolutely amazing. The book is on the longer side but it is so enticing and moving keeping you engaged throughout. The story of a single father and blind daughter in the days of occupied France during WWI encompasses the struggles of the time as well as the interpersonal relationships that bridge all of society's rules and flourish in times of terror. This book is an amazing read for all genre lovers.

3. Quick and Easy Reads

"A Good Man is Hard to Find" Collection of Short Stories by Flannery O'Connor

O'Connor is a female writer who's personal life was similar to that of Emily Dickenson. She was somewhat of a recluse due to her dealings with Lupus disease. She also rarely had any male suitors. O'Connor was a devout Catholic and contemporary themes of religion, family dynamics (mostly dysfunctional), race, dark humor, grace and southern society are present in each of her short stories. These can be found online and in your local public library. Her stories are ironic and full of life.

Just some food for thought to accompany your candy, cookies and other holiday treats.