A List Of Irrational Fears

A List Of Irrational Fears

Spiders, snakes, and clowns! Oh my!

1548
A List Of Irrational Fears

Everybody has something that they are afraid of. Whether rational or irrational, fear is a real thing that can grip somebody’s life and either stall you or change you. But we aren’t here to talk about the normal fears that people have like change, heights, and crowds. No, we are here to talk about irrational fears or phobias. The definition of irrational fear according to Google is “A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.” These are the ones that you wouldn’t conquer for a million dollars. I know for a fact that almost all the things on my list that you will see I surely wouldn’t engage for no less than a billion dollars (a million is just asking too little). So without further ado, here is my list of irrational fears.

1.) Spiders

When I think fear this is the first thing that pops into my head. I have, for as long as I can remember, been afraid of spiders. All types of spiders too (they’re so creepy)! Daddy Long Leggers, jumping spiders, little tiny harmless spiders, Wolf Spiders, Tarantulas, YOU NAME IT I HATE IT. Why do spiders get so big? Is it really necessary? Why are some of them made to jump? THEY JUMP. If a spider jumped at me I would really just wish my life would end at that moment to be honest but who wouldn’t? And they’re everywhere. They’re in the shower, the bathroom behind the toilet, your room somewhere, the living room. I have even had a spider violate the sanctity of my pantry. Is this fear irrational? Probably. Would I avoid doing things because of it? Without a doubt.

2.) The Dark

So when I say I am afraid of the dark I don’t mean that I sleep with a night light every night. I guess more of an accurate description would be the things that could possibly be in the dark. Ever watch Supernatural? If you like not being afraid of actually everything then I suggest not watching it (JK it’s a great show, please watch it even though it fuels nightmares sometimes). When it comes to the dark, I am most afraid of going up stairs after I shut all the lights off down stairs for the night. I always feel like I am going to look back and something will be behind me. I am afraid of the basement in the dark for good reason (eh hem, please refer to almost every horror film). Being outside in the dark because what horror movie/TV show doesn’t have to do with someone while it is dark outside. Even though I list it as an irrational fear I still go outside at night, I just tend to walk briskly when something catches the corner of my eye.

3.) Clowns

Season 4 of American Horror Story. Enough said.

4.) Shower Murderers

Now most of you are probably thinking what? Well I would like to have you know besides spiders, this is what I fear most. When I walk into the bathroom anywhere and the shower curtain is closed I need to open it or peak behind it just to make sure there isn’t a murderer there. I am not exactly sure of where this fear stemmed from but it has been something that still gets me to this day and probably will for the rest of my life.

5.) Being Attacked By A Shark In A Lake Or Swimming Pool

Because why not?! Every little kid has had this fear especially in swimming pools and if you are disagreeing with me you are a dirty liar. Plus lakes are just creepy so again, why not? There are sharks that swim in fresh water! I would be that person that dies in a lake and from a shark attack and not an ocean. I'm calling it.

So there is my list of irrational fears. I hope that my reflection on my fears made you reflect on yours. Who knows, maybe you’ll come to realize that you really are scared of these things and you’ll start checking your shower for murderer’s every time you’re in the bathroom. You never know!