Thank You, Lilly Singh, For Reminding Us It's Important To Put Mental Health First

You are truly leading by example.

44

YouTuber Lilly Singh, also known as iiSuperwomanii, announced she was taking a break from YouTube from November 18-December 6, 2018. This meant no twice-weekly videos and daily vlogs. Her biggest reason:

She could feel her mental health deteriorating from her busy schedule, and she wasn't happy anymore.

Lilly has always been open about her struggle with depression and anxiety, and has credited her starting a YouTube channel as a way for her to cope with her depression as a teen. She always presents a very upbeat, happy-go-lucky attitude in both her videos and vlogs. To hear Lilly sit down and talk seriously about something that was clearly so important to her was a major contrast from her usual tone.

When I watched Lilly's first video back--the first collab in her annual "12 Days of Christmas" series, featuring James Charles--the difference was insane.

Lilly looked happy, refreshed, and most importantly, relaxed.

While her break was only for a few weeks, it was clear those few weeks had done so much good. And as someone who has struggled with mental health for years, that was so inspiring.

Here's this woman with so much influence, taking time for herself and showing her millions of fans that it's not only okay to put your mental health first, but it's of the utmost importance to do so.

Each video and vlog since her break clearly shows Lilly in a much better place than she was once in. You didn't even realize just how much her mental health was weighing on her until you saw the videos of her after her break. Lilly always looks like a weight has been lifted off of her. She sprinkles so many words of wisdom around and just looks happier.

I particularly have loved her vlogs. Lilly talks about and really shows what she's been doing to keep herself in a better place. To make sure she reserves "me time" and finds things to do that are for her and not work-related.

I'm a senior in college with a lot on my plate right now. I work, I have an internship, I write for Odyssey, and I serve as president of my Odyssey team. I'm about to start a new semester. With all of that, I know I need to keep an eye on my mental health and, like Lilly, make sure I'm not getting all caught up in the work.

Lilly has reminded me that it's ok to put my mental health first.

Lilly has reminded me it's okay to take time for myself and not feel guilty about it, since that time is necessary to breathe and recharge. She reminds me to take those little steps that can make a day feel less crazy at the start, like making a lunch or picking out an outfit the night before. She reminds me to find things you love to do that aren't connected to work or, in my case, school.

So Lilly, thank you for being so open about your experiences with mental health. Thank you for showing your fans the importance of taking care of yourself. Thank you for showing us that you can take care of yourself, have a career, and be a bawse as we take on all of it. Hopefully, you've inspired others as you inspired me to remember our mental health comes first.

Keep on being an amazing human being and a genuine bawse.