I Like The Real You More Than The Instagram You

The Social Media Epidemic

494
hongkiat.com

Social media is the most deceptive character in all of our lives since the infamous queen in Snow White. I think every person knows it, but everyone is just too afraid to say it. I’m going to be the brave one here and just call it what it is. Our profiles are not a clear reflection of who we are. Lets be honest, we are all catfish at the end of the day. I know that I will always upload the most flattering pictures of myself onto Facebook, and definitely leave the best of the best for Instagram. Come on, I know you do it too. If you scroll through my Instagram, you would know the Instagram me, but not the real me.

After my acceptance to UW-Madison, I was worried about my social media presence. I was concerned that my Instagram feed didn’t showcase the true essence of how incredibly entertaining my life was. My nights out and my exciting adventures with my friends weren’t always captured the moment they were happening, and oh no, no picture meant no post. I was apprehensive that my potential roommate wouldn’t think I was “cool enough” for her. I wondered if the friends I made would have certain expectations of who I was, and I questioned whether or not the online me matched the real me.

I am a victim to social medias influence on my confidence. We live in an age where the number of likes we get on a picture determines our self worth and the number of followers decides our social status. Snapchat filters have made it easier for someone to mask what they look like with effects that automatically narrow your nose or contour your face. Have you ever thought about why the puppy dog filter is so popular? Maybe because it erases any sign of a blemish or problem spot. We love the idea of presenting our best selves on social media platforms, and hiding behind the additions put in place to make us feel more appealing. I have friends that take days editing pictures, increasing the saturation, and eliminating small imperfections just to make themselves more attractive to their online communities.

Some people use their profiles to promote their music, to flash their designer bags, to update distant family, or just purely stay in touch with old friends. It is safe to say that today the world abuses social media in several ways, whether it be with positive or negative intentions. Even though there are several nuances coupled with the fantastic technological age we live in, a social media epidemic has emerged.

The reality of it is, our Instagrams won’t mean anything to our potential bosses in an important job interview, our Facebook's won’t tell anything other than the stories we wanted it to tell, and our snapchats will solely depict our personal experiences that we felt needed to be shared. Your kids won’t care how many followers you had as a college student. You most definitely will not remember how many likes you got on a picture by the time you get your first real pay check. This obsession won’t last long, and its important to know now that the time spent on choosing between Vsco C1 preset or C2 preset will contribute nothing to the real things that will matter to you in the long run.

At the end of the day, I don’t believe my words will change the impact social media has on our societies troubles regarding self esteem; however, I leave you with one question. Are you more proud of the Instagram you, or the real you?