It Was Better When I Didn't Know My Purpose

It Was Better When I Didn't Know My Purpose And Was Unaware Of Dance Marathon At FSU

It was easier when I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

170
Personal Photo

Do you know how we all wanted to be something when we grew up? Whether you wanted to be a pop star, veterinarian, or a doctor, you knew what you wanted to do. Well, I never had that feeling until recently. Here is a question for you though. How many of you want to pursue the profession that was your dream when you were 5 years old? If we are being honest with ourselves, we have all most likely changed our minds.

About one year ago, my mom came home and told me, "I could really see you working at Shands Children's Hospital." That left me surprised. Up until then, I had wanted to either be an Athletic Trainer or a Chiropractor. Never once did I think I had the emotional stability to work somewhere like Shands. From that day forward, it was in the back of my head. Was this really what I wanted to do? Just a couple of weeks before, I had attended Dance Marathon at FSU. The most amazing experience of my life. I had/have such a passion for helping kids.

The most impactful miracle child in my life is Marshal Fisher. Marshal had to have his leg amputated due to osteosarcoma in his right leg. Marshal made the brave decision to have the procedure done because he wanted to live his life and do what he wanted to do. Because of Marshal and his legacy, I want to be the one that helps someone chase crabs on the beach.

So here I am now, applying for the Athletic Training program at FSU in hopes of going to Physical Therapy school so that I can be around the people that I have the most passion for. Because that is my purpose. And I am completely terrified? I spent so much time going back and forth from what I wanted to do with my life that I was never really motivated because I knew I had time. Well, I am almost halfway through college, and I am so scared that obstacles will get in the way of making my dreams a reality.

But was it really better when I did not know my purpose? In the long run, no. The time I have spent since knowing my purpose has been the greatest time. I capture moments more. Whenever I meet a miracle family, I internalize the fond memory of it because those are the moments that I will hold close to my heart forever. So no, it is better to know your purpose so you can make a difference now.