Why Life Is Strange Is One Of The Best Games I've Ever Played

I'm so glad you're my partner in crime. As long as you're my partner in time.

1536
Steam

[Note: I tried to keep this as spoiler free as possible. Although the game has been out for two years, I still want to provide those interested the feeling of going in blind.]

DONTNOD's Life is Strange is truly one of a kind.

Although it's easy to pin point the game's likable aspects: a great story, kickass voice over work, easy mechanics, interesting dialogue choices, and intriguing, and often complex player decisions. The question of why it resonates with so many people is harder to answer. The game doesn't engage you in tough battles and through blank canvas protagonists, like some before it. Gamers often buy into fantasies: the fantasy of being an assassin, a hacker, a medieval warrior, etc. They allow for you to be something bigger than you already are for a gaming session. Although this protagonist has the power to rewind time, ultimately, you're playing a slightly awkward high school senior.

Life is Strange follows protagonist Max Caulfield, a photography student, who returns to her old town in Arcadia Bay, Oregon to attend the prestigious Blackwell Academy. After a traumatic encounter in the girl's bathroom (thankfully no CGI troll was involved), Max discovers she can rewind time. However, she can only go back 10-15 minutes at most, which sometimes means changing dialogue choices so they end in your favor or solving simplistic puzzles through rewinding. Max soon uses her gift to help solve the mysterious disappearance of "It girl" Rachel Amber, along with her best friend (who has an amazing character arc, I must add).

Life is Strange has more in common with popular teen-centric shows than the latest AAA games, and that is definitely part of the game'sappeal. It doesn't seem afraid to tackle important topics like bullying, mental health, and grief. It's not afraid to engage gamers on such an emotional level and really ground them in the world of Arcadia Bay.

Often when I would play the episodes, I would find myself falling into periods of recollection. The game presents you with a lengthy sequence in Episode One: Chrysalis, where you have the option to explore a house from Max's childhood. If you choose to, Max will comment on certain items she finds. Old drawings, old swing set, a worn down couch. Not only does it give Max a more established backstory, but it also forces you to reminisce about your childhood as well. The game operates on this feeling of the old and the new clashing together. Max returning to her childhood, the fishermen longing for the old days of plentiful fish in the bay, and, of course, Max clutching onto her bulky antiquated camera, refusing to "go digital."

I played this game as someone the same age as Max and although Max was more worried about solving the overarching mystery that hung over her school, and I was more worried about where I was going to college, I feel a deep connection to this game. As Max would take photographs and make it known that she wanted to be a photographer, she would often encounter fear of inadequacy and she would sometimes feel unsure of herself. Although you witness many characters praise her on her unique talents and skill: her photography teacher even going so far as to tell the class "she [Max] has a gift," Max isn't so sure. I can relate to Max's fear from the perspective as a writer.

As I replay the game, I am often blown away by the voice over work, particularly from the two leads Ashly Burch and Hannah Telle who provide a lot of emotion and even some humor as the story progresses. The soundtrack filled with amazing alternative tunes is highly recommended and excellent to listen to while studying. It is a beautiful game that I highly recommend to anyone that is a little intrigued. Especially since the first episode is free mostly everywhere.

Tissues are highly recommended (and encouraged) as you get further along.

You can download Life is Strange for PC, Mac (on the App store), Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360. Physical copies on Xbox One and Xbox 360 can be found on Amazon and Gamestop.

The first episode is a free download on all platforms, save for on the Mac App Store.