Life or Limit

Life or Limit

Do the everyday pressures of college limit us or do we keep ourselves from having fun?

2435
Life or Limit
Edwin J. Viera

Once upon a time a young boy was sent to live with his aunt after the death of his father. He was a shy child, and clung to his Nanny as he was ushered into the grand apartment of his aunt. The boy was Patrick Dennis, and the aunt in question was Auntie Mame.

Based on the best-selling novel by Patrick Dennis this film, starring Rosalind Russell, is about the wild life of the fictional Mame Dennis, and her life with her nephew Patrick. The movie expresses the message of living life to the fullest with Mame’s famous line being, “Live! Life is a banquet and poor suckers are starving to death!” She even helps her secretary become a social butterfly; this movie can make anyone change, and it made me change my outlook on life.

Sure college is a time for you to focus on your studies, and not to worry about having fun, but it comes in many different forms or ways. For some it’s going to a party on a late Friday or Saturday night. While for others the idea of eating spaghetti, a tea party, or going to see a movie is their great escape.

Beware, though, because college wears a person out. Sure you may be antisocial and introverted or just different in your own special way, but that doesn’t mean you have to be confined to your room; believe me I know. I find that some people are just so limited in what they can do, or what they want to do that it alienates them from the rest of the world

Has all the adventure gone out of our lives or do we restrict the adventure from even trying to exist at all? Could it be that staying in the dorm is the fun Friday night norm? I couldn’t help but wonder.

When it comes to the banquet of life are we starving ourselves for adventure?

Adventure doesn't have to be something like skiing down a mountain or anything major. Rather it could constitute as something like going out to the mall, taking a walk down the block for some frozen yogurt, or maybe going to a local art gallery. These little things matter just as much as going on a long trip, either from Long Island to New York City or Buffalo to Canada.

Sure, college takes up a major part of your time but at the same time you have to make sure you don’t stay invested in the books round the clock. If you don’t look up you may miss the world of fun, adventure and insanity happening around you.

My friends and I make the most of the weekend because we know that come Monday morning we have to get back into the dragging routine of the weekday struggle. That's the true struggle of it all thought. Knowing when to have fun and knowing when you have to hit to the books.

It's a balance that people struggle to figure out; especially since it has to be done every day because sometimes classes aren't back to back. With large breaks in between classes and plenty of time to go somewhere; its's hard not to be drawn into the allure of skipping class to hang out with your friends.

Sure, I could tell you don't procrastinate, always read your textbooks, and make sure you eat right, but I'm not. You can figure that out for yourself. When it comes to learning about life; life gives you a test to teach you a lesson. It's not the other way around as many people believe it is.

College is meant to be difficult because teachers, guidance counselors, friends and sometimes family members sort of scare you up before the big change. That's a part of the excitement of being in college. It's a time when you’re not quite an adult, but you’re not exactly the kid you used to be.

Have fun; that's the most important part of the whole experience. Learning is important but without fun it's just not worth the stress. Experience something new like joining a club, finding a new job or doing something special for yourself.

Auntie Mame is a great role model for adventure and something new but you don’t want to ever utter this sentence because then it means that you may stop living. “I lived! I’ve got to find out what to do now”. This is also a quote from Auntie Mame that means something more than the end of living life to the fullest.

It also means that you have a new way to look at life, and it always leaves room for something new, and something to discover. That’s the best part of life, though, because there is always something new to discover.