Discovering new music is always great when it has a cool beat, great tune, or great lyrics. When it has all 3—even better. I recently listened to some songs that have all three attributes. The artist? Shawn Mendes. Some of his lyrics are so thoughtful in regards to life and love. I thought I should share.
Here are some excerpts from the album Handwritten.
"This Is What It Takes"
1. Underneath the darkness
there's a light that's trying so hard to be seen.
And I know this 'cause I've noticed
a little bit shining through the seams.
2. Come on, take my hand, we're moving on.
"I Don't Even Know Your Name"
3. Sometimes, it's hard to stand out
and you, don't have to do anything else
but be yourself.
4. You, you dressed up so nice.
But all I could see was your eyes.
5. It'll kill me everyday
cause I don't even know your name.
"Life of the Party"
6. When it gets hard, don't be afraid.
7. We don't have to be ordinary.
8. I'm telling you to take your shot. It might be scary. Hearts are gonna break. 'Cause we don't have the time to be sorry.
9. Be the life of the party.
"Never Be Alone"
10. Take a piece of my heart
and make it all your own
so when we are apart
you'll never be alone.
11. I may be far but never gone.
"Kid In Love"
12. Baby you're my everything, you're all I ever wanted.
We could do it real big, bigger than you ever done it.
Hehe. #12 wasn't Shawn Mendes. It was Drake. Just trying to keep you on your toes. ;)
13. Maybe we're just kids in love
If this is what it's like falling in love
then we don't ever have to grow up.
14. Play the lotto you might win it.
This doesn't only apply to the lotto. Imagine trying something you think is hard to be successful in. You might say "What if I fail?" BUT. WHAT IF YOU DON'T. "WHAT IF YOU SUCCEED?"
15. I'm d-d-d-down to be by your side.
Yes, all those Ds must be pronounced.
16. Darling I want all the strings attached
I love it when you look at me like that.
And you're the only girl that brings me back.
'Cause baby I want all the strings attached.
17. And baby when you fall down, I fall too
And if you get lost, then I'll get lost with you
And when the waves crash down
Then baby I won't move
'Cause I need
All the strings attached.
18. Truth is that no one can replace me.
I'm permanent, you can't erase me.
19. I know you mean it when you say you love me,
but we're trying way too hard.
20. What if our time has come and gone?
21. You don't mean no harm
but you're stringin' me along and I don't have the time to spare
22. Tried to fix me up but I'm not broken.
23. I really need you in my life.
Now I know.
"A Little Too Much"
24. Though everyone said that she was so strong,
what they didn't know is that she could barely carry on,
25. Sometimes it all gets a little too much,
but you gotta realize that soon the fog will clear up.
26. And you don't have to be afraid, because we're all the same.
And we know that sometimes it all gets a little too much.