A Life-changing Brotherhood

A Life-changing Brotherhood

Quinton, This is For You.

23
A Life-changing Brotherhood

How many of you have seen Grey's Anatomy? Well if you aren't familiar with the show, two of the main characters, Christina and Meredith meet during their first year internship at Seattle Grace Hospital. Over time, the interns become the best of friends. They help each other through romance struggles, studying for their intern exams and everything in between. Christina says to Meredith at one point, "You are my person." Meaning, you're the one I tell everything to- The one I share all my secrets with, someone who truly gets me. Someone you just can't live without. With that being said, I dedicate this blog to my best friend who also happened to be my neighbor growing up. Someone I truly can't live without. A person who has earned a special place in my heart. This blog is written for you, Quinton Swan.

We've known each other since we were in about second grade but didn't actually start hanging out until fifth grade. We were in the same class that year and I guess we just clicked. Quinton would come over most days after school and we would play some classic Mario games and eat endless bags of popcorn. Due to amount of popcorn we ate, I no longer eat it (Thanks bud.) If the weather was right we would go in my pool for hours until our fingers were actual prunes, and of course continue playing Mario games. Often times we would ride our bikes in my cul-de-sac for a good amount of time. Or rather until dinner was ready and one of us got the phone call to come home. During the summer he would sleep over my house for days in a row. It got to a point where he was no longer a guest! My mother would make him help unload the car after she did a huge grocery store run. Quinton would go home every now and then to make sure his parents knew he was alive and well, and shortly return to my house. My childhood was awesome having my best friend just a few houses up from me. All this time we spent together really helped create the brotherhood we now share being in our twenties.

Quinton never failed to make me laugh. We have countless inside jokes and have shared so many amazing times together. We laugh harder the more we look back on them. He has been there for me for years on hand. From when I was getting picked on in grade school, to when I came out in middle school, and now as we embark on our college adventure trying to figure our life out. His support is endless which is just one of the reasons why he has earned such a special place in my heart. I remember the night I came out to him. Coming out is such a scary thing really. You're afraid of being judged and left alone. Finally I had the courage to tell him and his response? "I know." He followed up by saying, "Why would that change anything? If you're happy, who cares."

Did I truly think it would much of a difference to him? Of course not. But it's the fear of it possibly happening that lingered in my head. It was so heart warming to know that all those years of sleeping over my house, swimming in my pool with me, going on vacations with me wasn't affected by the fact I'm gay. As we grew up we continued having amazing trips together and creating more memories for us to look back on. I can honestly say my childhood wouldn't have been the same if it weren't for having Quinton as my neighbor.

Quinton- I write this directly to you: You are my person. As stated above, you have EARNED a special place in my heart. You are one of the kindest people I know. I strongly believe the world would be a better place with more people like yourself. You have given me a friendship..a brotherhood for that matter, I can't live without. I think about you daily and I'm honored that I've been able to grow up with you. You have turned in to an motivated, charming young man. You have helped me in ways you'll never truly understand. Thank you for being my person.

To my readers, I'll end with this- I think everyone needs "a person" to go through life with. Someone you can call no matter the time of day to tell happy, sad or exciting news to. It makes life so much brighter. Find something, or someone you love. Hold on to it close. For me? It's Quinton(of course) White Mascato(Sorry Aunt Kristen) and dogs. What do you love?