Life Lessons Learned from Skee-Ball

Life Lessons Learned from Skee-Ball

The classic arcade game with more meaning than you thought.

30
Life Lessons Learned from Skee-Ball
https://www.pexels.com/photo/led-lighted-bowling-arcade-machine-1293260/

It's hard to leave any arcade without playing a quick round of Skee-Ball. Whether we are in a rush for tickets or have an extra quarter to spare, there's always a nostalgic draw to the classic game that brings more value to our educational foundations than we once thought. Here are just a few things you picked up as a child while you were trying to win extra tootsie rolls.

We have a limited number of shots

Whether it's a timed game or the shoot locks after a certain number of balls pass through, we all put a little more thought in our final few shots before they vanished. Similarly, as we grow older, we value expiring goods, like food and money, in the same strategic fashion. A true Skee-Ball champ probably savors their potato chips to the last bite, or maybe even last crumb.

Aim high, no matter the outcome

Though it may take a couple shots, we knew the high score couldn't be reached by aiming for the 20 all game long. Aiming high doesn't always go in our favor, but when we finally landed the perfect shot we understood the reward is worth the trial and error. Understanding risk in industry in the same way now allows us to apply and work for job promotions with less fear, knowing the reward may not come quickly but is worth the effort.

Hitting the bank (or bump at the end of the runway) is always a risk

Shooting at the right angle can come with great reward, or a total flop into the gutter. We learned, the hard way, that there will always be a speed bump to hinder the journey. However, the lesson learned from the bump in the road may launch us in a way we least expect.

It's ok if we fall short

It is rough having a ball hit the gutter, but it only makes a comeback that much sweeter. Like any rough patch in life, whether it be a job loss and breakup, our next shot is an open slate. The playing field hasn't changed, it's up to us to refocus, readjust, and aim higher.

No matter the score, it's always great game

It is never a straight shot, no matter how we take on the game of life. Through the ups and downs, we can find great joy in the achievements we strive for and goals we achieve. Even we do not beat the high score, we still can have trust that we will end up with significantly more tickets than most other arcade games.