10 Crucial Life Lessons Learned From "Shameless"

If you're not watching Shameless, what are you doing?

2817
EOnline

If you are a living, breathing millennial, you have probably started Shameless. I spent my Winter break binge watching this crazy show, and I could not get enough. The dysfunction of this family keeps you pulled in from episode to episode. Just when you think it can't get any crazier, it does and the show twists more and more. From all the schemes, drunkenness, and lies, you wouldn't think you could learn anything from this show; however, the characters still seem to teach us a thing or two. Here are the lessons I learned from watching Shameless:

1. Responsibility from Fiona

Fiona raised her five siblings since she was nine years old, put herself aside for the majority of her life, and even took legal custody of them at 21 years old. At 21, I consider myself responsible when I don't drunk text people on a Friday night. Fiona took care of her siblings so well for the majority of the show and I have to commend her for her dedication.

2. Hard Work from Lip

Ah, Lip. The heartthrob of the show. I, as well as any females who watch the show, drool over Lip anytime his beautiful eyes appear on screen. He's a crazy one, following in his father's footsteps, but I will tell you one thing: the kid works harder than anyone I've ever seen. While he blows off school in the beginning, but once he finds his place he studies his ass off and it pays off (for awhile). Apart from school, Lip always has a job that he puts all his effort into. Whether it was a construction job that literally kicked his ass, a "bullshit" internship, or even washing dishes, Lip is constantly working for his well-deserved money.

3. Mental Health from Ian

Ian is an essential character to the show, and one of my personal favorites. His struggle with bi-polar disorder shined a light on a topic that deserves more attention. His battle was not sugar coated; it was real and raw, just as it should be. He showed us the roller coaster ride that is mental illness and that it is a constant battle and not something that is just cured. Ian not only taught us about mental illness but also taught us how important mental health is.

4. Life's Consequences from Debbie

Debbie is probably the most annoying character on the show. She starts out innocent and quiet, but quickly spirals downhill. Debbie thinks the world owes her something and makes choices without thinking them through. From her 20-year-old "boyfriend" Matt, to her child Franny, and even the chances she gives Frank and Monica, Debbie messes up the most out of anyone. With all the mistakes she makes, she always has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Most of the time they are negative, but hey that's life.

5. How Open The Future Is from Carl

Carl is hands down the funniest character on the show. I loved Carl from day one and watching him throughout the show is the best. He starts out as a crazy little kid who likes to destroy anything he sees (red flag #1) and grows worse from there. He goes from being a bully to all the kids in his grade, to some punk wannabe drug dealer. After he spends some time in juvie, he comes out even worse and with a head of cornrows. Once he is introduced to life as a cop, his whole world is turned upside down. He gets himself straight, starts becoming interested in the police force, and even gets himself into military school to learn some discipline. Carl had the biggest transformation in the show and taught us that it is never too late to turn your life around.

6. How To Love from Kev

Kev is my favorite character in Shameless. Not only is his transformation something to drool over (can we talk about his abs?), his personality also shines. He cares about all of the Gallagher's like their his family, and his love for V is unlike any other. Not only are they hot as hell, but they love each other so much. Throughout the show, Kev does anything he can to make sure V is happy. He is the best boyfriend and husband a girl could want. Once they bring their precious children into the world, he takes care of them so well. Just when I thought he couldn't get any better, he became the best dad.

7. How To Be A Good Friend from V

V is a little crazy but boy, is she loyal. She is always there for Fiona with a bottle box of wine and an open ear. She helps out next door whenever she is needed, putting her nursing skills to work. She helps and supports Kev no matter what, and is even a good (maybe too good) friend to Svetlana.

8. How To Accept Yourself from Mickey

Mickey, Mickey, Mickey. I started out really hating him, but he really made a comeback. Until season 4, he treated Ian like shit, he stole, lied, and was always visibly dirty. But, he proved me wrong when he finally came out in from of everyone, even his father. He never let Ian call him his boyfriend, or would even be seen with Ian in public until he realized his true feelings for him. He finally accepted himself and now I love Mickey.

9. How To Over Come Fears from Shelia

Shelia is arguably one of the craziest in the cast. With her, um, promiscuous choices and her severe fear of the outdoors, she is entertaining, to say the least. While she stays in her plastic-wrapped house for most of the show, she finally overcomes her fears and ventures to the market and then takes on the world.

10. How To Party Like Frank

Ah, finally, Frank. How could I leave him out? Frank is a lunatic, alcoholic, drug addict, deadbeat, but the show revolves around him. While he makes my blood pressure rise every time he hurts his children, he makes me laugh with his insane tactics. I highly, highly suggest toning down his partying by like 99 notches, we can all learn how to let loose a little bit. Frank loves to live every day like it's his last, and always celebrate, which is sometimes a good thing.

If you're not watching Shameless, what are you doing? It is my favorite show that I've watched and I cannot get enough of it. Here's to hoping season 8 will not disappoint.