Lessons I Learned From An Adult Rehab Guest Lecture

Lessons in life from the wise.

128
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/18/6364396620873612841098662610_IMG_0008.jpg

What’s adult rehab, you said? It’s one of the major classes for my occupational therapy (OT) Master’s program. We are currently learning about spinal cord injury (SCI). Who else can be more qualified to educate us, future OTs, in this department than someone who experienced SCI firsthand? So, our professor invited the one and only Nate Higgins to be our guest speaker of the week.

What does this OT-orientated lecture has anything to do with you? Well, Nate taught me more than just how to be a good therapist. He taught me how to be a better and stronger person. If you’re like me still in college, or maybe you’re just feeling a bit lost in life, I hope these lessons I learned from Nate will shed some light on your path.

On the day of the lecture, a blue-eyed man in a crisp-white shirt and a black vest rolled into the classroom on his super cool “mountain bike” wheelchair. Apparently, this is the guest speaker my professor told us about – Nate Higgins. He emits such an unexpected powerful and confident energy that I couldn’t stop watching him. After taking copious amount of notes during the lecture, I decided I want to share what I learned from Nate. I followed up with him.

Following are my “email-interview” with him and the things I learned from his lecture.

Who’s Nate Higgins?

On July 7, 2004 the 19-year-old athletic Nate fell off from a roof while working as a painter. The fall resulted in a brain injury as well as a T4 complete spinal cord injury. Luckily, Nate soon recovered from the brain injury and didn’t suffer much loss from it. However, the SCI left him unable to ever walk again. The rehabilitation process wasn’t easy. Nate wasn’t always as ready for challenges as he has become now. He was upset; he felt desperate; he almost gave up. But he didn’t. He made a resolution, when New Year’s Eve rolled around – “I was going to win.” He decided to win the battle of life.

Following the injury, Nate obtained bachelor’s degree and two masters’. He worked full-time, even during his school years. Even more impressively, despite the medical challenges (i.e., unable to move his legs or control his trunk), Nate decided to start swimming again and made great accomplishments.

Me: According to my research, you graduated from Gonzaga University with a bachelor’s degree and from USC with a master’s degree. Is that correct? What were you majoring in?

Nate: That is correct. I majored in business at Gonzaga with a philosophy minor. I also obtained a master’s degree from Capella University in Labor Relations in 2013. Graduated from Gonzaga in ’09 and USC in ’15. (Note: Nate also won a Swim with Mike scholarship when he was at USC)

Me: If you don't mind, can you share your accomplishments/experience career-wise since you graduated college and started working?

Nate: Coming out of Gonzaga, I worked at CH2M Hill for three years in Labor Relations, then went to Glacier Peak Capital (a small value oriented hedge fund) to work as an analyst. I then left there after a year for graduate school. During graduate school I interned at Los Angeles Capital Management (a quant hedge fund) and Bank of America. During my second year of business school I worked full time and went to school full time. I worked full time on the capital markets desk for Toyota Financial Services. In April of this past year I left Toyota, and now work in commercial real estate full time.

Me: You briefly mentioned your accomplishments in sports yesterday, which ones are you're most proud of? Or maybe you're proud of all of them?

Nate: Making the Para Pan American Games team would be the one I’m most proud of. It was such a battle to make that team, and took a tremendous amount of sacrifice to make it happen. Swimming Alcatraz in 2016 would be up there as well along with the Golden Gate Bridge in 2012.

Me: When I asked you how do you deal with negative thoughts yesterday, you mentioned working out and intermittent fasting. I wonder if you have other mental strategies besides the physical strategies you've mentioned?

Nate: Gratitude. It starts and ends there. Multiple times a day we should be thanking God for the things that he is bringing into our lives. It’s very difficult to be miserable when we’re thankful for what we have. I could absolutely do a better job of this. I think volunteer work is incredibly therapeutic when it comes to brightening one’s spirits. When you’re down, the last place you need to turn is inward. It should always be outward.

Me: What gets you out of bed every morning? aka. What lights your heart on fire?

Nate: I hate losing. I want to be the best version of myself. That’s what gets me out of bed in the morning.

(Life) Lessons I learned from Nate

• “No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.”
This is by far my personal favorite from the entire lecture. Recently, I’ve been struggling a lot with keeping up my grades. Not that I’m on the edge of failing, but I couldn’t accept that I’m not getting as good of grades as when I was in undergraduate classes. Growing up, I always put my worth in the grades I got. Now, even though I know grades don’t decide everything as long as I’m learning, I still have a hard time letting go of grades. During the lecture, Nate told us the story of his first ever therapist, who was a new graduate at the time. This young therapist was not afraid to admit that he didn’t have all the answers, but his care and compassion for Nate earned him the “best therapist” position in Nate’s heart. So, remind yourself to put your care for others before your grades, if you’re sabotaging yourself with the highest grades like I am.
  • “Life is supposed to be lived with people.”
How many times have you felt like a failure? I know I have. So many times. Those are the moments you should seek out to your community, because we’re not meant to be loners. We are supposed to spend our life with other people. In moments of darkness, you are seeking out for community not just to vent, or receive affirmation, but also to contribute. When you love on others, you will experience so much love in return. I guess this is also why I chose occupational therapy, because I know when I invest in others, I will harvest so much love and happiness in the process as well.
  • “Never underestimate the power of competition.”
When asked how he picked himself up from the pit after his injury, Nate answered with this comment on the power of competition. I don’t know how much this rings true for you, but I know I can get really competitive sometimes. However, before we condemn competitiveness, let’s look at it from a different perspective. Sometimes, all you need is the spark of fire lighted by a competitive spirit to help you climb out of the pit, like Nate did. So, the next time you feel dreaded to do something; why not try establishing a friendly competition with your friends, your roommates, or even your old self, and life.
  • “Life is like a wrestling match, if you stop moving, you get pinned.”
This is a beautiful analogy; it’s also very true. If you let yourself sit and rot in the pit, you’ll always be confined. Life will always happen to you, and you’ll feel helpless and even desperate. But, if you don’t let life happen to you, if you start moving, striving, and fighting, then you’ll you’re your strength and create your future.
  • “Loser have goals; winners have systems.”
Striving doesn’t equal to running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Being busy or even having a goal is not enough. Nate put it perfectly; you must have a “system.” If you only know you want to go to New York, but never did any research on the flight tickets, I doubt you’ll ever get to New York. However, if after you decided to visit New York, you strategically decided the best time to visit, searched for flight tickets, and even connected with your New York friends, you’re much more likely to actually go. Life works in similar ways. It’s not enough to just have a goal. We must set up our daily habits to be the building blocks connecting us to the desired future.
  • “Don’t ever assume your (SCI) client has a lower quality of life than you do.”
This doesn’t only apply to therapists who are working with clients with disabilities. The big takeaway is to not make assumptions about people with any kind of disabilities, just because they “look” different than us. Who is to decide what “normal” is? Why is it normal for me to depend on my glasses to read? But it’s not normal for someone to depend on a wheelchair to go around? Disability is not a human condition. If the environment is right, everyone is “normal” and can go around independently. Next time you see someone in a wheelchair or reply on certain devices to go about, don’t show your pity face. Try holding the door for them like you’d do for anyone else, try setting up the best environment for them in the moment, when there’s no automatic door in place.

Nate has an amazing spirit that shines through his jokes, determinations, and compassion for others. He doesn’t just throw out beautiful words; he has truly “walked his talk”.