5 Things I Learned Outside The Classroom In College

Not all of what you learn is within the confines of a lecture hall.

153

Recently I saw a quote on twitter which states, "You learn more in one year in college then in all four years of high school."- Anonymous. The thing about college, is that it's all about education. Sure, you take general education courses, classes dedicated for your major, fun classes, and that weird class that you really aren't sure how it fits in with what you are planning to do with the rest of your life. However, college also teaches you about some pretty important life lessons, both comical and realistic. Here are five important lessons I have learned this school year.

1. Naps are important

When you are a kid, you do not want to take naps. Then one day, you begin to appreciate them after running on four hours of sleep since you were working on that paper all night.

2. College is harder then high school, take it seriously.

I know you hear this but you process it as "I can miss classes and my parents won't know! I'm also talking less classes and spending less time in a classroom, how hard can it be?" The answer is very. very hard.

3. Sometimes you go out on school nights

Gasp. At least for me, I wasn't allowed. Now I'm not saying to do it every time, but once in a while go out and have fun knowing you have that 8 am the next day. You will make some good memories.

4. It is okay to change your plan

It's all about the journey, not the destination

5. Friends are great

Find your people. There for the good and bad and will help you through it all. I would not have survived this year without them.