31 Life Lessons For College They Should Teach You in High School, But Don't

Dedicated to the incoming freshmen before they pay that enrollment deposit.

134

At my high school graduation, someone went up to the podium and made a speech about how in a few months before starting college while dorm shopping, I'd be sobbing in Bed Bath & Beyond regretting going so far away, or even deciding to go to college in the first place. That person was one-hundred percent right, but it's gotten better since August.

Today I share with you all the wisdom I've acquired these past two semesters. Incoming freshmen all over the globe, this one's dedicated to you!

1. Appreciate your parents' cooking. Dining hall food will make you miss it for sure and you'll be stuffing your face while you're home for break.

2. Don't rush to buying materials for classes! Wait until the first day of class to know exactly what you'll need. That textbook you dropped hundreds of dollars on may probably be opened once over the course of the semester, so it's really not worth getting ahead of time.

3. Invest in a mattress pad. Your back will be thanking you in about twenty years or so.

4. Remember when they said you have to wear a lanyard in high school? It was all in preparation for college. Trust me, it's so convenient to have it on you at all times.

5. Use your time wisely. You have slightly more time to get things done in college than you did in high school, but the difficulty of work is unreal.

6. Don't procrastinate. Just don't. You'll be crying on Sunday night when you have a paper, a lab report, and a quiz all due at midnight.

7. Take advantage of all the student discounts out there. Hint: Spotify Premium and Amazon Prime will be your life!

8. Partying is good for the soul once in a blue moon but remember, it isn't the only thing that makes up a college experience.

9. You'll know who your real friends from your past are. The ones who don't matter, you'll probably lose touch with. Keep them in the past... you really don't need the toxicity on your new-founded journey.

10. Weekly calls with the BFFs you still keep in touch with are a MUST. Once you all are home for break, you simply pick up where you left off, as if nothing has ever changed with the distance.

11. When your friends aren't there, your family is always there for you. Love them unconditionally and don't forget to give them a call or pay a visit every now and then.

12. Take your parents' advice. They know you better than you think you do.

13. Be yourself. I promise you, you don't need to put yourself out there as someone you're not for people to like you.

14. If you know you're not a fan of someone from the start, don't waste your time pursuing them or making them try to like you. Leave them be. There's thousands of people out on campus who can't wait to meet you.

15. Avoid college drama at all costs. It's like high school drama, but on steroids. 10/10 would not recommend.

16. Go to your professor's office hours. Chances are, you'll form a terrific bond with them and they'll motivate you to thrive in their course.

17. There's a fine line between wants and needs. When you're a broke college kid who needs some quarters for wash but also wants a whole pizza, know how to prioritize.

18. Adulting ranges from you trying to pay bills and fees to figuring out which flavor of ice cream you want to eat during your study sesh.

19. Organization is key! Set reminders on your phone. Write all your weekly plans in your agenda or desk calendar. Follow through with your goals... you'll feel golden afterwards.

20. Don't let anything or anyone stop you from taking opportunities that are right before your eyes. Competition can bring out the best in you, as long as you're humble about it.

21. Let love in, but when it comes to you. Stop getting worked up over him/her, or using Tinder to find that perfect someone... you can survive without a serious relationship in college.

22. If the right person comes around, don't settle for less and be picky when deciding to be with them. You want to associate yourself with someone who brings out all the fab qualities you possess, not dishearten you.

23. You'll learn the great skill of how to get 8 hours worth of sleep in half the time! Amazing!

24. Take at least one mental health day during the semester. Clean your room. Get ahead on your school work. Go shopping. Just do something to clear your head of reality.

25. Ask for help, even if you think it's the dumbest question in the world. Go to a professor, parent, friend, or tutor. It's one of the many reasons they're in your life: to help you make sense of things!

26. Make your bed in the morning, every morning. That way if nothing's going right that day, you know that at least you accomplished one thing that day.

27. Find your favorite spot. It may be your dorm room, the library, or a café. Make sure it's the perfect getaway for when you want to be anti-social and productive.

28. Join anything, whether it be Greek life, a club, a sports team, or a choir group. Most of the friends you'll make there will be your closest friends, or even a second family.

29. Know what study methods work for you! Some people find it helpful to form study groups, and others are independent learners. Be open-minded to both. You may never know how effective something is unless you try it!

30. If you second guess a school, it's most likely not the school for you. Just like when buying a car or prom dress, you'll know it's the right one when step foot on the campus and get a certain feeling.

Fun fact: When I visited Temple for the first time, I told my parents this is the school I'd end up at. They denied it. Guess who was right? This girl!

31. Don't regret anything! Everything happens with a purpose, whether you like it or not. It all happens to shape you, not break you. College only lasts four years, so savor every minute of it doing what you love with people you love in a place you love whole-heartedly.