8 Life Lessons As Told By 'Vampire Diaries'

The best rule of truly living: do the thing you're most afraid of.

639
8 Life Lessons As Told By  'Vampire Diaries'

As my absolute favorite TV show comes to its end, I have looked back on every episode and remembered all of my favorite scenes and characters. I found that each character I fell in love with taught me a certain lesson or gave me a piece of wisdom I now keep in mind.

1. Don't take life too seriously. -- Kai Parker

Despite Kai's moody tendencies and anger issues, sometimes (or rarely) there sides to him that display him as a happy person. He enjoys teasing people and is often inappropriately humorous, however, he is witty and throws in the occasional funny comeback to lighten the mood of serious situations.

3. Stay strong in tough situations. -- Caroline Forbes

Whether it was becoming a vampire on a human blood-free diet or losing her mom the unsympathetic disease of cancer, Caroline remained positive. She is sassy, strong, and acts as an anchor of optimism for everyone else during times of grief, depression, and danger.

4. A good friend is willing to sacrifice their life for you. -- Bonnie Bennett

Time and time again, Bonnie Bennett has done whatever she could to save the ones she loves. She has died and come back to life several times to protect her friends from any evil that comes to Mystic Falls. I admire her selfless personality and hope that if the people I love were ever in danger or needed my help, I could be as strong, loyal, and heroic as Bonnie.

5. Never give up on family. -- Stefan Salvatore

Stefan and Damon's brotherhood has its ups and downs. With all the impulsive and selfish decisions Damon makes, Stefan is always there to pull him out of the rocks he buries himself under. He never gives up on his brother despite all of the destruction Damon manages to get himself into. Although they fight and argue, the Salvatore brothers would die for each other which truly demonstrates the importance and meaning of family.

6. Forgiveness and redemption take time but are not impossible. -- Klaus Mikaelson

Klaus seemed like the ultimate villain as he arrived in Mystic Falls with the intent of building an army of werewolf-vampires (hybrids) yet, as time goes by, we learn that Klaus only seeks acceptance and a family to stand by him because his original family is dysfunctional. Though no one officially allows him forgiveness for every death or evil deed caused by him, he finds friendship with Caroline and Stefan and becomes an ally to everyone else in Mystic Falls.

7. You can fall in love with more than one person. -- Elena Gilbert

I have always believed in the idea of a "one true love" so watching Elena slowly fall in love with both Salvatore brothers was a little confusing to me. How is it that after falling head over heels for sweet, sensitive, and kind Stefan she could find herself caring for stubborn, impulsive, yet passionate Damon? It took time for me to understand that Stefan, being her first love, taught Elena what falling in love with someone feels like yet, Damon taught her what being loved feels like. Love comes and goes, however, if you meet someone you can connect with on a deeper level, such as Elena did with Damon, love will stay.

8. You deserve a love that consumes you. -- Damon Salvatore

Following the love triangle between Elena, Stefan, and Damon, Elena decides that the love she feels for Damon is stronger than that of her and Stefan. Besides the bad-boy characteristics, Damon outwardly displays, he treats Elena with respect, protects her above anyone else, and gives her a love that is passionate, exciting, adventurous, and captivating.

TV shows like "The Vampire Diaries" are what give me inspiration for stories I may love to write one day. Thanks to writers like Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson, I am determined to write and develop a successful storyline like theirs based on the novels by L.J. Smith in hopes one day a beginner writer, such as myself, hopes to follow in my footsteps as well.