15 Lessons I Have Learned Through The Years To My 21st Birthday
Life Stages

The sayings are true.

150
Peaks Foundation

I am turning 21 and I was looking back at all the lessons I have learned throughout the years. I'm sure there are more than I am listing but here are a few lessons I have learned.

1. Sharing is caring

American Grit

That saying that your parents always tell you when you are younger and want all the toys to yourself. My mom always used saying's like that and later on it takes a whole new meaning. Sharing is caring, if you can help somebody you should because most likely people are worst of than you.

2. Money doesn't grow on trees

Jerry Maguire

"Money doesn't grow on trees" is a popular saying and once you get older and start paying for your groceries and bills; you find yourself saying it too. Sometimes you don't understand money until you're using your own.

3. Mother knows best

Gilmore Girls

Wifflegif

When you are teenager sometimes things your mom says or grounds you from may seem "unfair" but once you get older you realize everything she was doing. She is the reason you made it as far as you did and you find yourself doing the exact same things as she did. Also, whenever you have a problem she is the first person you call because well mom's know everything.

4. You can't live life wanting the things you don't have

Iron Man

If you live life constantly wanting what you don't have then you will never appreciate what you do have. It's like whenever you get the new version of something, another new thing will come out and so you'll want that. It'll keep going like a broken record and it will result in you never being happy.

5. The only person that needs to like you is you

Hailee Steinfeld

Tumblr

There is always going to be people who don't like you, no matter how you act or what you change. So, you might as well be yourself. Because as long as you like yourself then it doesn't matter who likes you.

6. It doesn't matter who you were in high school, it matters what you did

Freaks and Geeks

Wifflegif

Your social ranking in high school doesn't matter once you get out of high school, it's the grades that will follow you. High school can be rough but the only thing that matters is what you have to show for once you graduate.

7. Treat others the way you want to be treated

Shameless (US)

Wifflegif

Here is another cliche saying that is completely true. Everyone is different and no one should be treated badly because they are. You wouldn't want to be called names or treated badly because of your differences. It's simple; be kind.

8. Live in the present

Skins (UK)

Don't live in the past and don't worry to much about your future. If you live in the past then you will never move forward. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we learn from them that matters. The future is always on peoples minds and it stops you from living in the present. It's easier said then done but try to focus on today.

9. Spend time with family as much as you can

Gilmore Girls

Gifer

Family is important. Spend time with the family that has always been there for you because when you go off on your own, you will miss them. When you are off doing your own thing, always remember to come back home.

10. Friends come and go but the true friends will stay

New Girl

Throughout high school sometimes you lose and gain friends. When college hits that happens often. You'll lose touch with some high school friends but the high school friends who stay are the real winners. You make more friends in college and when you graduate who knows what will happen. Time will tell who sticks around and it's okay to lose friends because the true ones will stay.

11. Fight for what you believe in/stand for

Shameless (US)

Tumblr

Your voice matters. Don't be afraid to voice your opinions but always remember to listen to others even when you don't agree. Stand up for yourself and your loved ones. Speak up for the people who can't. Everyone has something they are fighting for. Don't ever lose your motive to fight for what you think is right.

12. Hard work does pay off

Gina Rodriguez

Whether you are working jobs or working hard on homework and projects, both can suck sometimes. Working all the time to pay for groceries and etc, isn't fun but it pays off. You work hard to earn money and create a savings. You work hard on projects to get good grades. You work hard to build yourself into the person you want to be.

13. It's okay to hurt

The Vampire Diaries

It's okay to hurt, it's okay to cry and it's okay to fail. You are human and you will make mistakes. Life will get hard and you will want to break. Emotions are inevitable and so it's okay to feel them. It doesn't make you weak, you are stronger than ever when you let yourself feel. Just know to pick yourself back up.

14. It's okay to focus on yourself sometimes

Shameless (US)

Noluyo

There are times when you take care of everyone but yourself which is a noble and good trait to have. But, you also have to take care of yourself. Your mental and physical health is important; don't beat yourself down so much.

15. Nobody is ever perfect

Skins (UK)

Tumblr

Nobody is perfect and everyone has flaws. No one's life is ever perfect either. Some may be better off than others but nobody has a perfect life. Never go searching for perfection in yourself or others because you will never find it. Perfection doesn't exist so don't beat yourself up because you aren't perfect.

I am excited to turn 21 and start taking on more responsibilities. I know I have more life lessons to learn but I am proud of the lessons I have learned so far. Learn from your mistakes, know sometimes the cliche's are true and be yourself. You will grow to be the person you want to be.