A Life Lesson From Drake

A Life Lesson From Drake

This is "Too Good" to pass up.

56
A Life Lesson From Drake
The Fader

If you love pop music like I do, you’re always in the loop about the latest hit, and after you’ve heard it twice on the radio, you can recite every word. I also have a really annoying musical flaw where once I hear a song I like, I will listen to it on repeat for days on end until I get tired of it (every member of my family can vouch for this). That’s how Drake and Rihanna’s "Too Good" has been for me for the last few weeks.

I try not to take pop lyrics too literally or seriously, seeing as a lot of the common-thread themes aren’t things I can really relate to or even promote. I usually just admire these songs for their upbeat vibe and find them to be great motivation for a workout. The funny thing is that even though Drake’s "Too Good" came out a few months ago, just yesterday I was hit with a revelation when I heard the chorus.

“I’m too good to you
I’m way too good to you
You take my love for granted
I just don’t understand it”

So I know Drake is talking to a girl here saying that she doesn’t deserve all the love he gives her. He thinks she’s not being fully faithful to him and he expresses the fact that he’s done with it.

I’m a firm believer that God can use any method or means to speak to His people. So believe me when I say I know it sounds weird to say that I think God spoke to me through Drake, but I think He did.

How many times have I taken God’s free and gracious love for granted? Way too many times to count. How many times has God forgiven me of sins, behaviors, or attitudes that were not in line with how I should live my life as a follower of Christ? Way, way too many times to count.

Psalm 86:15 says, “But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.”

As the sinful and imperfect person that I am, I spend my days self conscious about how I look, how many likes I get on Instagram, how many views I get on Snapchat, or how many texts I get in a day. All of these earthly things are so insignificant compared to the greatness and splendor of God’s love for His followers. On days when I don’t remember to reaffirm my thankful heart or don’t act in a way that makes me worthy of God’s love, it is still given to me -- His love for you and I is abounding, never-changing, and never-ending. I’m completely guilty of taking this gift for granted.

The love God has for me and gives to me is "Too Good" for me and I do take it for granted. I want to be a person who never forgets for a second the magnitude of what God has done for me. Lord, let me never take Your love for granted.

Whether you’ve never heard of Drake, like Drake, love Drake, or hate Drake, this is a lesson we can all be reminded of.