Life is a Work in Progress

Life is a Work in Progress

Because everyday is a chance to get a little bit wiser, a little bit better, and a little bit stronger.

1856
Life is a Work in Progress

Being a work in progress is a wonderful thing. It means you are never “finished” which means that you always have the chance to improve yourself and become something and someone better than who you are already. It allows you the ability to be comfortable with making mistakes and accept yourself for you who you are.

If you want to argue that you are not a work in progress then the only assumption that can be made is that you think you are perfect. And if you are perfect then you would never be wrong and you would certainly never make a mistake. Can you handle that kind of pressure for the rest of your life?

That is the pressure you put on yourself when your goal is perfection instead of constant improvement. You do not have to put up with this pressure though as long as you are willing to accept that no one can actually be perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. But when you start to recognize that you are actually just a work in progress then you can acknowledge your mistakes without fear because you can happily admit to not being perfect. Say it loud: "I am not perfect and I make mistakes. I am a work in progress!" It is actually quite liberating.

Being a work in progress is not just about being able to acknowledge your mistakes though. You need to be actively seeking learning opportunities, identifying how you can improve, and striving to adapt and grow yourself.

We live in a world full of expectations. Everyone around us has an idea of what our lives “should” be like and what we “should” want at this point in our life. The interesting part about all of these judgments and comments from everyone, they aren’t us and aren’t living our shoes. What do they know about what we want?

And maybe we don’t have a clue. Maybe we are hot and cold with the person we’ve been kind of dating. Maybe we are in between jobs and trying to figure out what we are actually interested in. But maybe, just maybe, we are in the process of figuring it all out. We are in the process of trying to find ourselves and who we are and what we want in this crazy world. It is taking trials and errors but we are getting there.

Every mistake I have made, every setback that has happened to me and every scar on my body has lead me to this point. I sometimes feel that when the devil keeps on asking you to look at your past, there must be something good in the future he doesn’t want you to see.

There is something exhilarating about the unknown, which is life. We know that nothing is certain besides death, and even that can hit at anytime. So what if your friends are getting married and having kids? So what if people can’t understand why you are choosing to be single before you settle for someone that you aren’t 100% about?

You are doing just fine. You are moving at your own pace and creating a life that you can be happy about and it is nobody else’s business about how you are going to live it.

So live. Make mistakes. Have regrets. Feel. Experience. Take it all in. Every single experience and opportunity are helping you create the life you want.

And if you feel that you are at a dead end and don’t know what you want, that’s okay. You are a work in progress. Your life is a work in progress. And every single day you are working to create your story. Every day is a new page in the book of your life. Maybe things won’t work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Don’t let anyone tell you how to live it. Always remember to fall asleep with a dream and wake up with a purpose.