When Life Gets Busy

When Life Gets Busy

We all get busy, but don't let that business take away from your quality of life.

421
When Life Gets Busy
IMSA Students Productions, IMSA Media Services, & IMSA Acronym

I know sometimes that people can get really busy to the point that they're so busy every day that they don't end up having a lot of time for other things. It becomes a constant of a certain schedule every week or possibly every day. Maybe it even gets to the point of every month looking exactly the same from the last because you've just settled into the way your life is.

But maybe that's wrong. You get so settled into a schedule sometimes that you don't make room for other important things. You don't go out, don't take time with your family that much, or maybe don't even take time for yourself.

Now, I know it can be hard to sometimes, but it's important to do things differently probably every couple weeks. Personally, I'm a little different about every couple days because I really like to turn my life upside down every week it seems. But getting into such a set schedule and pattern of life that you don't take time for other things? Outrageous!

So here are a few things that I feel that everyone should take time for, even when they get busy.

First, of course, would be family. They are the people who are always going to be right there beside you. They're usually the people the closest to you, possibly the only ones you give a damn about. If they are, that definitely means you need to visit them and see them. That two hour break between classes? Go visit your great-grandma for a small chat session and some cookies. Maybe go have lunch with your mom once a week but switch up the day you go so it's not the same every week. Spend a night at grandma's again for old times sake and just bond! Get up before dawn and go fishing with grandpa. Listen to the old stories that they'll tell you. Keep them in your heart, because they aren't always going to be here. Make time to play cars with that annoying little brother. He'll eventually be a jerky teenager anyways and want nothing to do with you. Then you'll be wishing you could turn back time to play with him! Go back home from college for that short weekend to help your little sister get ready for her prom. Call your dad every month to give him an update, let him know you're okay. Be spontaneous and go see him instead of call! Just make sure you're doing things with your loved ones that you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Next, friends. Now, I know I can be the worst about spending time with my friends especially. I procrastinate sometimes, so that paper that's due Friday is usually being completed Thursday night. Of course, that means not going to karaoke night with my friends. I'm also at the age where many of my friends are in college themselves, or starting families of their own. Oh those babies are precious! But it means sometimes not seeing them, or maybe being hesitant on asking to see them because of knowing how busy they must be with that new born. Here's a suggestion: don't hesitate to ask, but don't be disappointed if they say no. Their families will now come before partying, drinking, being crazy, because they have something so precious to get home too. But ask, see about going over and hanging out for just an hour, maybe during nap time, because you miss them so damn much. When friends come back to town for breaks, though, for your college friends, make sure to hit them up and see if they would like to hang out. Exchange crazy college stories that you can laugh about.

Third, and lastly, is to take time for yourself. You aren't going to get far in life if you're unhappy. Make sure to take time for yourself to enjoy life. Don't keep going on and on with a schedule until you don't recognize yourself or you don't even know what you want anymore. Find yourself as you grow and become into the person you're going to be for the majority of your life(I say majority because we all change continuously). But you'll always have a certain thing about you that could remind somebody in the blink of an eye about you. Like the name of a book you love, or that play you couldn't stop talking about because you love it. Don't let yourself become down and depressed because you no longer know what to do - just get back up on your feet and do something that will help you realize your full potential in becoming the person you've always dreamed of, or maybe something you've always aspired to be.

I can tell you for certain that these things are the most important things to focus on in your life on a daily basis. Make sure to think of these things everyday, think about what you can do to make your life better by enhancing it with getting out of your schedule. Don't let time be your enemy by not doing anything. Step up and help time improve life.