What Does Graduation From College Mean?

College Prepared Me For The Real World And That's How I Know I'm Ready To Graduate

The countdown begins

83
Kerry Sheehan-Delany

The moment I stepped foot on campus, something was different. Freshmen and sophomore year were all about meeting as many people as possible and doing as much as possible. Senior year is about what matters most to you and sifting out all these extra, unnecessary groups I am a part of and things I forgot I even did, to allow me to live the most functionally sound life.

No college student's life is functional no matter what year you are.

If I get asked the question, "Are you excited to be a senior!?!" or "Are you ready for graduation??" one more time, I will just drop all my books and walk straight to the train tracks because to be completely honest, I did not think about how final this year is until everyone started asking me about it.

I envisioned just another year of the extensive education I've been getting since I was 5-years-old. I haven't thought about what is going to happen nine months from now let alone 9 minutes from now.

I am ready. I am excited. I am nervous, and I have so much work to do until then. I still have seven classes to complete, so I am not going anywhere just yet, that is for sure.

Is anyone ready for something that's never happened to them, though? Is anyone ever ready to be launched into society? I don't know. I have yet to become a functioning citizen, so I will deal with that come May. It is straight up September, so I advise any senior that feels similar to live in the moment. Also, watch as much of "The Office" as possible to prepare yourself if you do end up working for a paper company, whether it is joining Corporate in New York, or Michael in Scranton.

High school prepared me well for college and college has prepared me well for the real world, and that is how I know I am ready to graduate. Theoretically, I could leave now. I no longer want to adhere to the college lifestyle and tendencies. I prefer to do work and focus on the things and people that matter to me. I have a house. I do not have a meal plan. My house does have bills to be paid. I have this freedom and I love it and I am ready to take on what's next. I have no idea what that is yet, but job security does not tell me I am ready for life after Elon—everything else does.

Although the day I walk under the Oaks with the class of 2019 I hope I am employed and have these next steps of my life somewhat planned, it does not validate my ability to be a functional person in society. My diploma is a certification that I am ready for life beyond the classroom. Education is what we make of it, and I have learned so much through my three years here. I have one more year and so much more to learn. I have not earned my Oak tree sapling just yet.