I Am In The Liberal Arts And I Am Proud

I Am In The Liberal Arts And I Am Proud

I'd rather be happy than do a job I don't like.

115
I Am In The Liberal Arts And I Am Proud

Whenever I was asked the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" as a child, the thought of being a teacher immediately popped into my mind. I have loved the humanities and liberal arts all throughout my schooling.

I always have personally thrived in English and knew that if I wanted a career it would have to somehow incorporate my passion for that subject. It never really occurred to me until college that this was a somewhat unrealistic path to take. My parents love me dearly and they are very proud of the fact that I am an English and Philosophy double-major.

However, other people definitely have looked down upon the idea of me being in the liberal arts. In this day and age, it is common to see many people specializing in the sciences or in business. My passions have never really been within those fields, so why pretend that that is something I want to do?

I definitely think that liberal arts majors are not given the respect that they deserve. When people here my majors they are quick to ask "Really? What are you planning on doing with that?" This at first surprised me, until it became so common that I got used to it.

There are many aspects of the liberal arts that incorporate thinking skills and social skills to get far in life. They are unique in that most classes are discussion based, therefore, you have to be well spoken and be able to hold up your side of an argument.

It is more common than people would think that people in liberal arts get jobs in marketing or even writing for a start-up company. People need writers, and they need those who know how to communicate when other people do not.

I find it discouraging when people ask me how I plan to support myself if I want to continue the path that I am currently on. I know that I am not the only one to be receiving this kind of feedback when it comes to my major, but it is still very disheartening. My response is always the same.

It is extremely important to do what you love because the rest will fall in to place. I would much rather have a job that I am passionate about and love that may not pay super well in comparison to a job that I dread going to each day that pays better. Yes, this may be easier said than done, however, I think that it is still realistic.

While this may sound extremely cliche, it is important to do what you think is best for you. Do not force yourself to fit some mold just for the sake of money or because others tell you that that is the best thing to do.

To all of those people that have majors not necessarily supported by those around them, it is okay. It is better to be true to yourself and focus on what you love, rather than going to class each day for something that you hate.

I am proud to say that I absolutely love going to my English classes and having the opportunity to write both in class and outside of it. While some may see this as pointless, I see it as me doing what I love and trying to make that work for me in the long-run.