Why LGBTQIA+ Safe Spaces are a Necessary Part of College Life

They're here and they're needed

21

It's 2016 and gay marriage is legal in all 50 states, because of this I think that a lot of people think the need for LGBTQIA+ safe spaces has lessened but that isn't true. Although great strides have been made in the last couple of years as a society we are still where we need to be.

College is a time to find yourself and have the time of your life with the friends you'll have for the rest of your life; that's what everyone will tell you. With in the finding yourself sometimes people realize their sexual or gender identity. and although it's 2016 sometimes being at school is the only place people can be themselves.

Being apart of the gender and sexuality alliance at my university has opened my eyes even more to the need for these resources. coming from a rather liberal town the thought of people being unaccepting was really foreign to me. but being here was opened my eyes to the fact that not everyone is as accepting as my community. something I was aware of but it didn't really hit me till I was here.

Now being here and being apart of our Alliance's Eboard I am proud to be apart of a group that creates a safe space for the LGBTQIA+ community because despite it being 2016 it is still so needed. So if you're ever wondering why they're still needed just know that they are because we still have a long way to go.