16 LBGTQIA+ Must Listen to Artists

16 LGBTQIA+ Artists You Just Have To Listen To

Looking for new music? I got you.

582

I find it super frustrating that a lot of LGBTQIA+ artists are underappreciated and overshadowed by their heterosexual peers in the music industry. In light of all of the drama with Coachella, I thought it would be fitting to share my favorite artists in the LGBTQIA+ community. I want to focus attention on actual advocates of the community! If you're interested in listening to these artists, I made a Spotify playlist with all of my favorite songs by them!

LGBT

Hayley Kiyoko

@hayleykiyoko on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "He'll Never Love You (HNLY)"

Hayley Kiyoko is an American singer-songwriter. Her music falls under the dream pop and synth-pop genre. I love listening to Hayley when I'm alone in my room or doing homework (I'm not too proud to admit I've danced around my room to her 'Expectations' album).

Ah-Mer-Ah-Su

@staramerasu on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Klonopin"

Ah-Mer-Ah-Su is truly a gem. She is a black transwoman and is breaking barriers in the music industry. Her music falls under the pop genre. Ever since I was introduced to her song 'Klonopin', it's been on repeat while I study for finals.

Bella Thorne

@bellathorne on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Pussy Mine"

I know Bella Thorne has become a little bit of a joke at this point, but I genuinely and un-ironically love her. She is constantly pushing boundaries with her music and fashion. Her music falls under the pop-rap genre. I love Bella because she's so fun! She really doesn't give a fuck about what anyone thinks of her and I find that truly admirable.

Troye Sivan

@troyesivan on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "HEAVEN" ft Betty Who

Troye is only 23, and he's already done so much. He was a Youtuber, and then moved into the music industry. His music falls under the electro pop, dance pop, and synth pop genres. His voice is so soothing, and I love listening to it. His lyrics are so honest, and I love that he accurately depicts what it is like to be gay in the 21st century.

Girl in Red

@girlinred on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "girls"

I was just recently introduced to Girl in Red, and now I'm obsessed. Her real name is Marie Ulven, and she is a Norwegian musician. Her music falls under the alternative/indie music genre. When I listen to "girls", I just want to ride in a car with the windows down and blast this song.

Sammy Heck

Sammy Heck on bandcamp.com

1. Favorite song: "Parked Cars"

Sammy Heck is a local musician who I was just recently introduced to by a few of my friends. She's from Maryland, and her music can be found on bandcamp. (https://sammyheck.bandcamp.com/) The first time I listened to Sammy, I totally understood why people think she's underrated! I love everything about her music, from the dreamy vibe to the lyrics to her voice.

Mykki Blanco and Princess Nokia

Mykki Blanco

@_mykki_ on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Wish You Would"

When I first heard this song, I was BLOWN away. This song is the definition of a badass girls night out anthem. I turned to my friend and said: "why would people listen to people like Cardi B when Mykki Blanco and Princess Nokia exist?".

This is kind of cheating, because these are technically two artists. Mykki Blanco (also known as Michael Quattlebaum) is an alternative hip hop American rapper, poet, performance artist, and activist. Princess Nokia (also known as Destiny Frasqueri) is an American-Puerto Rican rapper.

Not only do these artists put out absolute BANGERS, but they are both activists in their community. Princess Nokia is a strong supporter of intersectional feminism, and founded the Smart Girl Club.

Mal Blum

@malblum on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "New Year's Eve"

On the other end of the spectrum, Mal Blum produces super chill music. Mal is nonbinary, trans, and uses they/them pronouns. Their music falls under the folk, anti-folk, rock, and punk rock music genres.

Lauren Sanderson

@laurensanderson on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Written in the Stars" ft PnB Rock or "Better Anyway"

Lauren has quickly become one of my favorite artists. Her voice is amazing, and I love that she is a prominent female hip hop artist. I feel like there's no accurate way for me to put into words how she is as an artist. I urge you to go listen for yourself.

King Princess

@kingprincess69 on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Talia" or "Holy"

If you love Hayley Kiyoko, chances are that you'll also love King Princess. She is a pop artist, and I feel the same way about her that I feel about Hayley. Both are unique in their own ways, but they both make me want to dance around my room without a care in the world.

Left at London

@leftatlondon on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Waiting on a Ghost"

Nat Puff (Left at London) is a trans woman with the most magical voice. When I listened to "Waiting on a Ghost" I felt like her voice just melted perfectly in with the guitar. Her music falls under the alternative/indie genre.

Brayton Bowman

@braytonbowman on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "WORRY TOO MUCH"

Brayton Bowman is one of those artists that makes music that makes you want to get up and dance. It's impossible to sit still while listening to Brayton. His music falls under the R&B genre. I'm a little biased because he's a Philly based artist (where I'm from!), but I think he is truly amazing.

Snail Mail

@snailmailband on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Deep Sea"

Snail Mail is the American Indie Rock solo project of Lindsey Jordan. This song makes me want to get up and slow dance with the love of my life. Her music just makes me want to fall in love over in and over again.

Small Talks

@cayleyspivey on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Honeydew"

Small Talks is an indie rock band fronted by Cayley Spivey. Their music is so fun, and it's another one of those artists that makes me want to roll my windows down and blast their music on the freeway.

Lauren Jauregui

@laurenjauregui on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Back to Me" ft Marian Hill

Lauren is pretty famous from being in Fifth Harmony, an all girl pop group. When they broke up, she began her own music career, and moved away from basic pop music. She is American-Cuban, and probably my favorite person on this planet. From her amazing music, to her "take-no-shit" attitude, she has quickly become my role model.

Kehlani

@kehlani on instagram.com

1. Favorite song: "Feels"

Kehlani's music falls under the genres of contemporary R&B, neo soul, and hip hop. I think contemporary r&b is the perfect description of her sound. There is something nostalgic about her sound, but her voice is beautiful and modern.

lgbt