You Know Seeing LGBT Characters In Media Won't Make Your Child Gay, Right?

Trust that no show, movie, or game is going to change what’s meant to be.

301

With the holiday season in full swing, you’ll be sure to find yourself in a disagreement with family during the family parties. It’s inevitable. With so much going on the world, it’s difficult and almost impossible to find yourself talking about a topic that isn’t controversial.

For myself, this topic happened to involve the incorporation of the LGBT community in Disney movies and TV shows. First, it was the push to make Elsa a lesbian in Frozen 2, followed by the reveal of a homosexual relationship in Disney’s comedy show, Andi Mack. As we approach 2018, it shocks me that society will continue to hide homophobic behavior by arguing that one's lack of support for such relationships in children’s TV shows only comes down to preference, not homophobia.

With this being said, do not let others convince you that their preference for only male-female relationships in the media is anything but zero tolerance for acceptance. When I pressed for questions, there is no way around the overall stance that those against the integration have. People don’t want gay relationships in anything that has to do with children because they don’t want their children to be gay. Why? Because they believe gay is bad, abnormal, unnatural.

I am a firm believer that sexuality is a spectrum, and there is so much about this, and about humans in general that we have yet to discover. Nevertheless, I also strongly believe that we were born with our sexuality and no scene in a children’s show is going to change that. Gender, on the other hand, is a different story for another day. Regardless, why should we have an innate expectation of child’s sexuality? By this logic, it suggests that straight is normal, and anything that differs is unacceptable.

We need to do better as a society, through normalizing homosexual relationships and not allowing our children to grow up in a world where this is thought of as a reason to look down on someone. LGBT exposure will not threaten the "normality" of your child. Trust that no show, movie, or game is going to change what’s meant to be.