Peer Pressure Into A Sexuality Or Sexual Activity Is Never Okay!

There are consequences for even the smallest act and we need to start paying attention.

5943
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1536327555205-96da2959b9dd?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&w=1000&q=80

It has been a couple of years since the Internet has exploded with more drama in the makeup community, featuring James Charles and Tati Westbrook. Now, I'm not getting into the tea, but for those that don't know what's happening, here's a summary: James Charles sponsored a brand that happened to be the biggest competitor of Tati Westbrook. She later emotionally exploded on social media and revealed some facts about James Charles, one of them being that he uses his fame to change the sexuality of straight men (failing in the process).

Stepping away from the makeup community of YouTube, I have heard of members in the LGBT+ community chasing after heterosexuals, not accepting nor respecting the person's sexuality. I want to make it clear that not everyone does this.

When I first joined the community, I quickly learned that a small number of individuals would prey on the curious or questioning heterosexuals. Why do it, I'm not sure, but the one thing I am sure of is that it is incredibly inappropriate.

We are all aware that some LGBT+ members tend to develop a crush for heterosexuals; however, they do respect that they are straight and will not push the subject further. In fact, after confirming that their interest is heterosexual (through conversation or a friend), they do everything to get rid of the crush. Yes, some love interests happen to be bi-curious or curious in general, but we still apply the rule of consent. After all, all we want to do is give them a small glimpse or help with their curiosity -not necessarily sexually- of the queer world.

Resorting into harassing, forcing and imposing yourself onto someone sexually can be scarring in the long run. Although some might think it does nothing, it does. That person, who has been forced into a sexual act, will develop a fear of having sexual intercourse or trusting someone of the same gender. To overcome that fear will take time and it might never go away. There is a reason why consent is essential, why respecting someone's decision (including sexually) is crucial. Not only will it save someone from developing a trauma but it will also keep a friendship.