If You Treat The LGBTQ+ Community The Same As African Americans Were Treated, You're An Asshole

You have taught your children the family business and if this was a little over 100 years ago, you would have created another slave owner.

352

It's 2018, please get with the times.

I promise that at least one of your "anti-acceptance" shows' actors identify as LGBTQ+ or maybe the music you listen to was sung by someone who identifies. Hell, maybe your own kids identify, but you don't know because you're stuck in the past.

I would like to give you a little rundown of past American history, which you appear to know nothing about because if you did, you wouldn't dare to treat anyone that way.

African Americans were treated like animals, were refused service and were given significantly worse punishments than their White counterparts.

There were laws that specifically prohibited African Americans from having their real freedom, despite years of fighting for everything they had up to that point.

Now, the same can be said for the LGBTQ+ community.

The community has been around for decades, hiding in the shadows, terrified of not being accepted, terrified of what the world had in store for them, just like African Americans who were at risk every time they left their home, assuming they had one.

All of us would like to think that discrimination against the queer community ended 30-40 years ago but in reality, it wasn't until 2009 that the Max Shepard Act was installed broadening the definition of hate crimes to include gender, gender identity, sexuality, and disabilities.

However, this doesn't excuse people for what they've done before this law was passed. You shouldn't need a law to know that treating people so badly that they would rather die than take any more of it is despicable. But here we are, where you think it's acceptable to do this.

Every day I hear more and more stories about discrimination, especially in the past ten years regarding same-sex marriage and students who identify differently than their classmates.

I understand that some people think that marriage is specifically for a man and woman who can reproduce in the future. I don't agree with it, but that's your right.

What's not okay is you forcing your beliefs on other people and telling them the way they feel will always come second to your beliefs.

News flash, if you don't want to see people in love, close your eyes.

Regarding students, kids shouldn't be scared to go to school purely because they're different. They shouldn't have to look over their shoulder as they walk to lunch or wait until everyone leaves the bathroom to feel comfortable.

They shouldn't go home and cry every day after school or contemplate suicide because they get made fun of by their classmates. And where do their classmates learn to be this way? You.

You have taught your children the family business and if this was a little over 100 years ago, you would have created another slave owner

If you don't get that what you're doing is wrong, I feel sorry for you and I feel sorry for everyone who looks to you as a role model.