10 Things to Do in Lexington, KY If You're Only there For One Week

The most important things to do, if you're only here for a week or less.

89

Lexington, Kentucky. The city of basketball, bourbon, and horses. Disclaimer: I haven't lived here my entire life (only about a year now) but as a young kid, I've spent most if not all my summers in the Bluegrass State.

These are by no means the only things that you should and could do but simply a list to help get you started and in the right direction

So if you're planning a trip to the horse capital of the world but don't know what else the city has to offer. Heres a list of things you should do if you're only in Lexington, Kentucky for a week.

1. Tour the Waveland State Historic Site

Another state park that has many things to do, including a museum, show the historic site that showed what everyday lives of families and slaves who lived and worked at Waveland in the 1850s.

2. Visit the University of Kentucky campus

On to the basketball portion. The University of Kentucky is best known for their basketball and for the fans, take a walk around campus and see just how much pride the students have in their school.

3. Thursday night live

This is a summer night tradition in Lexington and is put on by Central Bank in downtown.

4. Visit the Kentucky Horse Park

Horse. One of the things that Kentucky is known for and something you can't not see when visiting, there for the horse park is one of the major stops that is a must.

5. Go on the bourbon trail

Of course, if you're under 21 and are not with an adult, it might be best to skip it. If not, being able to see how Kentucky makes their bourbon.

6. Go hiking at Red River Gorge

Kentucky has many different trails to hike on. This is one of the few I have been on and it is gorgeous. There's also great pizza place near the gorge that is a fun treat after hiking.

7. Mary Todd Lincoln and Henry Clay houses

If you like history, these two places are great to see because they can show you how some of kentucky's historians lived.

8. Walk with Nature at McConnell Springs

McConnell Springs is located at the spot where Lexington was originally named and is the first spring that the people of Lexington used.

9. Keeneland

If your visit is anywhere from October 12-26th, you are able to watch some of the races and participate in winning scholarships. Also in May when the derby is happening, you can dress up and watch the race and bet on who you think is going to win. You'll even get to see all the different hats that people wear.

10. Shaker village

If you're looking to spend a day to travel back in time or like history, Shaker Village near Pleasant Hill is the place to be, with the third largest Shaker community in the US at one point in time. You can experience all that this historical place has to offer.