To The Incoming College Freshman

To The Incoming College Freshman

Because I had no idea what I was I doing.

21
To The Incoming College Freshman
Logan Brothers

First of all, congratulations; you did it! Secondly, life as you once knew it is never going to be the same! You are officially a super cool college student, who really doesn't feel like one and who has no earthly idea what's about to come your way. If that sounds scary accurate to the identity crisis you're having right now, it's because I was you not too many summers ago.

As I embark on my final year of undergrad, it's crazy to think that not too long ago I too was a nervous freshman who would rather show back up to my high school for a thirteenth grade instead of embark on this crazy, beautiful journey they call college. But fear not, it gets better and you do figure it out. Before you do though, I want you to know what I wish I had known for my first days and year of college. So without further ado, I'm about to impart to you EVERYTHING that you'll need to know to survive out there in the great wild somewhere (or really at best make your transition a teensy, tinsy bit easier).

1. You do not have to schedule classes for 5 days a week.

Now this first one is totally your preference. However, when I started college, I thought because I was accustomed to 8 am- 3 pm, 5 days a week in high school, this was also the way I needed to arrange my college schedule. And I was wrong. You do not have to schedule classes every day. I have found that three days a week is a welcome transition. There is nothing wrong with scheduling 5 days a week, so please don't freak out if you have already made your schedule, but having a couple days to be able to work on homework or study or even have a part time job is incredibly helpful and almost therapeutic. 10/10 recommend.

2. Do NOT buy your textbooks at the bookstore.

They are going to try to convince you that the on campus bookstore is the way to go; abort the mission. I repeat, abort the mission. If you are going to MTSU, I highly recommend Textbook Brokers. They have two locations: one on Greenland and one on South Rutherford. They are much more affordable and get the required texts straight from your professors all you need to do is bring them your course number and section, and they'll hook you up! (For example, ENGL 3000 004 is what they would need.) You can also preorder online and then go in for pick up, which I think is the absolute best because you get to pass the never ending first day line, and they already have it all together for you.They always run a special sale a couple of weeks before the semester starts, so if you have your schedule made, this is a great opportunity to go ahead and save a few extra dollars. You can also always order your books from Amazon or your preferred online shopping sites. Just make sure you have the correct CRN/ edition!

3. Explore the campus with your schedule.

I know; I know. I know. You have already toured the campus before, but I would definitely recommend a couple more trips before the first day because even if you think you know where you are going, when you add in 23,000 other students the first day, you will not where you are going. I promise; it happened to me. Print off your schedule; find the buildings your classes are in, and then walk your schedule a few times. If you go to parking services, you can get an old school map of campus or you can use the app on your phone. Grab some of your incoming freshmen friends, or even better, find a friend that knows the campus well to give you an up close and personal tour!

4. Do not wait until the first day to get your parking pass!

If you do, you will most definitely be late to class. When you go to walk out your schedule, it would be a good idea to check the hours of parking services, and go by and get your parking pass, which is good for 3 years now, so yay for that! We used to have to get a new one every year, lame, lame, lame. Make sure you get your car on file with them!

5. Bite the bullet; buy a Macbook.

It is entirely possible to survive and thrive in college without your own personal laptop. However, it is so much more convenient to have your own laptop with you because you will use it literally every day. And I mean every day. I know that Macbooks are expensive, and I almost went with another brand because of the price difference, but it is so worth the investment. Macbooks are top of the line quality, and they are noticeably more efficient with fewer glitches and so very reliable. They also sync with your iphone, which is very convenient for notes and pictures of labs that you will use when studying. Hands down, the best investment I have ever made. I use mine so often that I bring it to campus with me every day, but like they tell you at customs, I never leave it unattended!

6. Get a planner, and keep it updated!

My planner was literally my livelihood my first year of college and even now. I left it in the library one day and completely freaked out, like I really didn't know what to do with myself. It had all my deadlines and engagements and everything written down. I always like to take the syllabus the first day and go ahead and write down all tests, quizzes, projects, and essay dates because those suckers sneak up on you sooo fast! Write it all down because you will miss something if you don't.

7. Keep snacks in your backpack.

This sounds so first grade but especially the first few weeks of school. You are going to be so busy figuring things out that you might forget to eat, or more realistically, the lines are going to be so long everywhere that you won't have time to wait. So make sure you have something to snack on if you are running a tight schedule.

8. What do I bring the first day??

This was probably my biggest question, and I still don't know if I have a good answer for you. Go ahead and bring your backpack and of course always have your phone on you on campus. In your backpack bring some looseleaf notebook paper, a spiral notebook or two, your planner, pencils, pens, highlighters,a little money just in case, and either a backpack file folder, plastic folder, or notebook to put all your syllabi and intro papers into. The professors should tell you what they want on that first day, and then you can get more customized. Oh and go ahead and bring a water bottle and pocket umbrella because you will definitely need both one day!

9. Get to campus early the first day!

Not to scare you but just to prepare you, parking will undoubtedly be a nightmare the first day, so you want to get there pretty early, especially if you are planning to park in a certain lot. Leave with plenty of time to spare and get to campus and find your class. Do not be a parking vulture the very first day; nobody likes those!

10. Be yourself and have fun!

College is stressful and scary at first, but it really is fun! For the first time in thirteen years, you get to throw off whatever stereotypes have bound you thus far and start becoming specifically who God made you to be. You'll get the hang of it in no time, and soon you'll be giving a freshman all the ins and outs of the whole thing. Make new friends, and look for opportunities to get involved with the things that interest you. Pay attention in class (you are paying for this education); take good notes, and study hard. You will quickly learn that you have no idea how to really study, but that's okay you'll figure it out! Make time for yourself, and invest time in the Lord because it's His purposes you are there to fulfill to begin with. There will be smiles and laughs and tears, and you will say you are going to drop out like 12 thousand times, but you won't. You'll finish the race you have started, and you will be so glad you did. And it's going to go by so incredibly fast, and I wish you nothing but the absolute best!

PS: Don't walk over the seal!