What I Learned By Letting Myself Down And Building Myself Back Up

I am my worst enemy.

47
unslpash.com

Over the past five years I have gone through many life challenges. I understand what it is like to feel like you are failing as a person, a friend, a significant other, and student. I know it can be very hard to feel like you can make it through struggles that seem endless. However, though all of my struggles, I have realized that the only person who judges you the most is yourself.

No matter how much I judge myself or feel like I let myself down. Everyone around me always assures me that everything will be okay, and that they are impressed with how well I am dealing with my current situations. That being said, I have realized that people are so consumed with what is going on in their own lives that they simply do not have the time or energy to focus on all that is going on in yours.

For example, no one cares if you go into a store with a hat on. People are not going to take the time to think, "oh brother, this girl did not even do her hair today," or "she is so lazy, she needs to get it together!" This is because in their heads they are thinking, "oh my gosh, I need to go pay this bill and do this before 5pm." No one has the time to look outward and judge people the way you judge yourself.

So, in order to become a happier person and a self satisfied person you have to learn to accept your mistakes with grace. Learning to look at what you feel you have done or are doing wrong is the first step in becoming happier with your life. If you know you have done something wrong and avoid it, more than likely, it will continue to happen in the future. But if you admit to yourself and others that you made a mistake and are willing to work hard to prevent it from happening in the future, you are hearing yourself grow and you are able to work on those changes.

If you are able to work on those changes and become more present with your daily life and what struggles you face, you become more aware of ways to work around your disability, struggle, discomfort, or mistakes. You become aware and cognizant of ways that do and do not work for you. This also allows growth.

However, as cliché as it sounds, accidents do happen! You should not feel ashamed of mistakes you make. All you can do is continue to work hard everyday and make changes to accept your mistakes and move forward.

Moving forward can be intimidating, especially for those who are especially hard on themselves. What is most important to remember is that you are the one in charge of your attitude, your thoughts, and your future actions.

I am by no means claiming that I am good at this. However, I have made myself aware of the mistakes I have made and work harder and harder everyday to love myself more, respect myself, and forgive myself.

Love yourself.