Letting The One Percent Win

Letting The One Percent Win

Majority doesn't always rule, and ignorance isn't always bliss

12
Letting The One Percent Win

With a new headline every hour, it seems the world is spinning much faster than science articulates it to be. Especially here in America, where everyone and everything is on the go. We crave speed. We crave instant gratification. So when a new headline regarding an event in the news, the election or anything affecting our everyday lives appears, we look into it for a solid five minutes and move on.

The stories, images, videos and interviews that the media is producing tends to be a small piece of a big puzzle that we consistently fail to solve. However, these pieces, big and small, are contributing to monumental social movements, political movements, relationships, stereotypes and ideologies by the second.

And often times these puzzle pieces are matter that we brush off to the side to avoid, talk about for five minutes or let it consume us. All of these options fall under one big umbrella issue: Lack of education.

Whether you're avoiding an issue that affects your everyday life, merely brushing the surface of an issue or becoming so ingrained in your own opinions, you're putting blinders on rather than holding a magnifying glass to the issues at hand, you're a contributor to the problem.

Everyone is guilty of this, myself included. It's difficult, and quite exhausting to take the time to fully educate ourselves on an issue or platform when the media is exceptional at producing content that let's the smallest, most extreme percentage of a political, religious or social population control us.

By doing this, we're allowing a small, utmost percentage of people influence and control not only our opinions as a society, but our movements as a nation; ultimately promoting hatred, stereotypes and lack of communication and unity.

Let's look at a couple of the most prevalent issues facing society together, starting with political parties.

The amount of people who I've heard say they "hate all Republicans" is absolutely insane. After witnessing this, I naturally follow their statements with a "why?" Their answers usually consist of a "because I hate Donald Trump" or "I hate the Tea Party." The same goes for the people I've heard say that they "hate all Democrats." After asking why, their answers usually consist of a "I hate Bernie and Hilary" or a dislike for the Obama Administration.

To be clear, Trump and Clinton are nothing but the nominees. Trump is not the full face of the entire Republican Party. And neither are his supporters. (Hence the #NeverTrump movement initially created by the Republican Party themselves.) Clinton is not the full face of the entire Democratic Party.

Extreme right wing Republicans like Ted Cruz do not represent the entire Republican Party. Extreme left wing Democratic socialists like Bernie Sanders do not represent the entire Democratic Party.

The spectrum is wide with several options and schools of thought. So why do we let small figures, and small percentages that come from nothing but a small puzzle piece influence how we view the entire political puzzle? Because the media only shows the small puzzle piece.

Both Republicans and Democrats have a plethora of ideas and viewpoints to offer and letting your distaste for a small percentage of the Republican or Democratic Party is only preventing you from learning something new.

Moving onto the next issue: Feminism.

Throughout our history, feminism has been an extremely important social movement that we needed, and still need today. The objective of feminism is not only to obtain social, economic, and political equality of the sexes, but to promote female empowerment between other females.

These are healthy objectives, but unfortunately has not been a healthy movement. The small percentage of feminist extremists who have promoted female superiority/male inferiority to males have turned away hundreds of males and females away from the movement as a whole.

So much so, that it seems our society spends more time defending the title of feminism rather than showing why we need it.

Whether the environment is school, the workplace or social gatherings, I have heard more conversations that regard distaste for feminist extremists, rather than actual issues such as double standards, wages and the problems that have arisen between women everywhere. And there lies the problem.

So why are we letting a small, yet intense percentage of people that come from nothing but a small puzzle piece of the bigger political/social puzzle control how we view the entire feminist movement? Why are we letting the small percentage of more radical feminists create stereotypes of all feminists in our heads?

But more importantly why are we letting stories of feminists making the wrong kind of noise control how we see an entire movement?

Moving onto: The "Black Lives Matter" and "All Lives Matter" movements.

I recently had someone ask me, "Are you "Black Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter?" What? Since when did lives become a competition against each other in terms of whose lives matter the most? Of course all lives matter, but you are turning a blind eye if you say that racism is non-existent, and that there isn't targeted violence or power trips towards black communities. Because there is.

It is beyond unfortunate that the issues of Police Brutality and the "Black Lives Matter" movement have crossed paths as much as they have, for people have mistaken them to be the same issue, when they're not, ultimately creating a battle between whose lives matter the most. This is the doing of the small percentage of extremest members from each movement.

The person responsible for the shooting of the Dallas police officers is not the face of the "Black Lives Matter" movement, and the police officers who have abused their power are not the faces of the "All Lives Matter" movement. Not all members of the "Black Lives Matter" movement are anti-police, and not all "All Lives Matter" or policemen are anti-black people.

So why are we letting the radical, small percentage of people from each movement control our ability to gain an understanding and sense of respect for each movement. Why are we letting the breaking news headline of each day be our only source of information to understanding these movements as a whole?

Let's tackle one more issue: What the American eye has done to Muslims

Throughout high school, this discussion has risen in several of my social studies classes. During those four years, there have been several people, in several classes, comment on the "discomfort" and "fear" they feel when around Muslims in a public place because of the events we seen involving extreme jihadists.

This is absolutely heartbreaking considering Islam is an extremely peaceful religion, and in which many people of all races and religions do not even consider Jihad terrorist groups to be a part of the Islam faith. ISIS, and other terrorist groups are not the face of Islam.

So why do we let the minimal proportion of radicalized terrorist groups who claim to be part of the Islam faith control how we feel about people of the Islam faith as a whole?

The list of issues goes on. It's imperative that we stop brushing the surface that the media provides us, and dig deeper into every single issue that faces us by looking at all sides before speaking on it.

By letting the extreme one percent of each population with a strong ideology control our opinions, biases, ideas, and perceptions of people and the world we live on as a whole, we are only promoting ignorance. Do your own research, create your own opinions. Don't let the one percent control you.