Letterboxd Review

Letterboxd Review

ft. seven movies you forgot you've seen

97
Letterboxd Review

Over the break, my friend recommended downloading the app Letterboxd. I did, and then proceeded to spend three or so hours compiling all the movies I’ve ever seen. This app is addicting for the sheer reason that I want it to be completely accurate. I want it to fully reflect all the movies I’ve seen, mostly so the more artistically driven films like The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby and Steve Jobs will counteract the fact that I have seen every Shrek and Sharknado movie released.

Going through and finding all the movies I’ve seen has also taken me on a trip down memory lane that I was not prepared for: I’m finding all these films that meant something huge to me in the moment, or I saw at a really good time in my life, or that remind me of a noun (person/place/thing) that I would much rather continue forgetting. If you thought adding X-Men or Toy Story 3 to your list wouldn’t be a big deal, you’re not at all prepared for remembering your life when The Lorax was released.

I’m nearly 100% done with my list, so I decided to pull seven movies from what I have seen and forgotten about that I feel a majority of current college aged students have also seen and completely forget about. This list (and all of the other movies you will find you forgot about if you make a Letterboxd account) will provide you with plenty of viewing options for when you’re between shows or procrastinating work.

Beastly (2011)

I've already rewatched this since discovering it again on Letterboxd. This movie is a tear jerker, a heart string puller, an eyebrow raiser when you realize one of the Olsen twins is the witch...? Still a 10/10 "I forgot this is a classic teen rom-com which I loved" but still begs a few questions about what we all choose to remember.

Easy A (2010)

While no one can forget this movie, it's safe to say you don't actively think about how fantastic Emma Stone was in what was -at one point in your life (if you're honest with yourself and the world) - your favorite movie.

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

You may remember Leonardo DiCaprio from his iconic roles in films such as Titanic, Inception, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Shutter Island, Revolutionary Road, The Great Gatsby, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Basketball Diaries, and The Revenant.

But I will always remember him as Romeo in Romeo + Juliet.

Ella Enchanted (2004)

If you try to tell me you did not want to be Anne Hathaway in this movie- especially when Hugh Dancy was your prince and everything was basically the same as in Cinderella but with a modern, female empowering twist - I'm just not going to trust anything you say going forward. Sorry.

17 Again (2008)

Remember when this movie was a big deal? It was the first time we all saw Zac Efron outside of the High School Musical universe and it was shocking. Sure, he was in Hairspray in 2007, but he still had senior year left at East High School so that doesn't actually count.

When in Rome (2010)

Bet you didn't remember Danny DeVito was in this movie. Ponder that for a minute.

Gattaca (1997)

I believe this movie is a staple of biology curricula (if it's not, my apologies. It was the one thing that kept me fully engaged in the one science course I kind of liked), which is half the reason why it made it on this list.

The other half is because this movie broke me. If there's one thing you should probably know about me, it's that I watched this movie when I was in the seventh grade, and I haven't been the same ever since #justiceforjudelaw.