A Letter To My Younger Sister During Her Senior Year

I am so incredibly proud of the young woman that you are.

310
Libby DeVine

To my best friend,

Growing up with you was simply fun. I miss being the two little girls that would put on dad's jerseys and run around the house in mom's high heels (until one of us pushed the other and got in trouble). Now, we're both at an age where we are making decisions on our own and we don't get to see each other every day anymore.

If there's one thing that I miss the absolute most when I'm away at school, it's you.

I can't believe you're applying to colleges at the moment, but I'm so excited for you to take on this thing they like to call the real world. Wherever you end up, you are going to thrive. I know it can seem like the most stressful thing you've ever done, applying to schools, but just know that you are good enough and I have no doubts in my mind that you will be accepted to your dream school.

Once applications (and other stressful senior year obligations) are completed, please take advantage of the time that you have left at home.

It's so easy to rush graduation and feel eager to just get out of there, but there really are so many things that you are going to miss when you finally do. You will miss your parking spot at school because it's where you met up with your friends every single morning. You will miss your teachers, because believe it or not, they taught you more than you think when it comes to being prepared for college. You will miss mom and dad, even though sometimes it feels like you won't. You will miss home.

But here's the good news. You are about to make a new home for yourself. You are going to meet so many new people who are going to love you and help you grow into the best version of yourself possible. You are going to find a new place for you to build your life experiences and involve yourself in things that you are passionate about.

I am so incredibly proud of the young woman that you are. Growing up, you loved to copy everything I did. As annoyed as I would be, I would listen to mom when she said "imitation is the highest form of flattery," even when you stole my clothes and makeup. Now, at this age, I feel as if the roles have reversed. You have become a role model to me.

Everything you do, I do, because well, you're so much cooler than me. You have an amazing head on your shoulders, and you teach me new things all the time. I love you more than you will ever know, and I'm so excited to see all of the amazing things that you will do in your life.

Love,

Your Big Sister