A Letter To The Person Who Puts Others' Needs Before Their Own

It's okay to put yourself first.

4930

Since I was a young girl, I have always been taught that generosity is an important virtue to pursue. You should donate to worthy causes, you should help friends in need, you should take care of others. While this is a great lesson that can teach people to lead a fulfilled life, it can lead people to put the needs of others before their own so often that it becomes a norm, and it can lead to them sacrificing the love they should have for themselves.

As a girl that has put others before herself constantly in her life, I can personally attest that self-love is something that we should remember to give ourselves, even if it means we are a little selfish sometimes.

It's okay to put yourself first.

There is a distinct difference between constantly being selfish, and choosing to do things for yourself every once in a while. Sometimes it's important to put your needs and wants above others for the sake of your own mental health and stability. Take some time to read a book you've had for a while, take a bubble bath, turn your phone off. Some of life's greatest moments are times we give into simple pleasures.

Give yourself time to work towards your own goals.

It's sometimes easy to get swept up in helping other people achieve the goals they have set for themselves. Many people forget that focusing on their own goals is absolutely necessary. You've set goals for yourself for a reason, so work towards them and put them first. You're the one that has to live your life; if you don't reach the full potential you have, it can negatively impact the way in which you feel about your life.

Remember to focus on your own personal health.

Many people tend to underestimate how important mental health is in relation to your overall health. Neglecting it can cause damages that can affect other areas of your life in drastic ways. Remember to take time for yourself to relax and look after both your mental and physical health. Make yourself a priority.

They can survive without you.

One of the hardest things to recognize is the fact that people can live without you if you aren't constantly focusing on them. There are going to be people that you make a huge impact on, but that doesn't mean they constantly need you. Taking time to put them second will not be the end of the world, and there is no use stressing yourself out over it.

Remembering to take time to yourself can be hard for any person who is used to putting others' needs before theirs. But it is essential to remember that you only get one life and one body; you must protect yourself and love yourself, even if it means putting others second every once in a while.