A Letter To The First Man Who Ever Loved Me

It isn't your typical love story.

12

You may think that this is going to be like every other "lost love" letter ever written. You would be wrong. As a girl, I have spent a large portion of my life looking for that one man who will love me like no other, when the whole time there has been one by my side.

Dad, from the very start you have been my biggest mentor. Since I was little, I got into the routine of asking mom a question only have to have her say, "That's a good one. Ask your dad." And I did. I asked you everything, mostly because it seemed like you knew everything. As a kid, I lived for those moments when you would tell me "Put on something warmer. Let's go for a walk." You would take me into the woods and show me animal tracks and different trees. You would teach me about fossils and bones I found, only to have me store them in the garage for months before mom would finally throw them away. I lived for those days when you would come home from work early so I could go into your shop and just be with you. I watched you with my little brown eyes and soaked up everything you said like a sponge.

As I got older, I started to grow apart from you. The little girl squeals of "Daddy!" as you came through the door after work turned into a more somber "Hey, dad." As I began dating, you had to watch your little girl grow up. I'm sure you had plenty of opinions about the boys I chose, but you let me decide on my own without a word. You sent me off to dances with boys, parties with friends, and, eventually, college. Throughout all of these events, I am so glad I had you there.

Since I have gone off to college, I have learned more about our relationship than I thought possible, since I only see you every couple of weeks. I know that if I ever need anything, whether it be a laugh or, heh, money, I can call you and you'll be there. Whenever I come home, I realize that we are more and more alike, and honestly, I am fine with that. I have gained your sense of humor and snarky remarks that have always made you, you. Now if only I could acquire your work ethic...

There is so much more that I could say to you, but mostly I want to thank you. Thank you for being such a prominent part of my life. Thank you for being my rock during hard times. Thank you for treating me like your little girl, even if I am almost 20 years old. Thank you for always welcoming me home with a giant hug. Thank you for spending countless hours at work so that I can live the wonderful life that I am living.

But most importantly, thank you for showing me what being loved feels like and for loving me unconditionally, no matter what.

Forever your little girl,

Boo