A Letter to the First Boys I Lived with

A Letter to the First Boys I Lived with

To my 5th floor boys, thanks for all the late nights and strange memories

60
A Letter to the First Boys I Lived with

On the first day of college, after successfully shoving an obscene amount of boxes into my 2 by 2 dorm room and saying a very tearful goodbye to my mother; Reality had set it. I would be living within 50 feet of testosterone filled boys, that in time, I would call my friends. I’d watched a ton of college rom coms to prep me for what it would be like living with boys who aren't family, but nothing had prepared me for meeting all of you.

Of the young me I lived with the majority of my time was spent with the 10 Freshman of the Wagner College Baseball Team. I would like to formally thank your mothers, they raised gentlemen. Most of the time.

Heres a few things I have learned living with boys:

1. Watch what you drink, even “Big Boys” cant handle their liquor

2. I don't think they ever heard of the word Lysol or Clorox

3. Always watch out for spit

4. Shirts are always optional

(even in our common room)

5. Be careful what you say, some boys like to gossip

6.Some words don't mean what you think (Ex: News, Pause)

7. Dip is disgusting and impossible to get out of sheets

8. Make time for “Family Dinners”

9. Having two TV’s in one room is normal

10. DO NOT hook up with the boy who lives three doors down-

“Don't eat where you shit”

11. Always have an escape plan( Even boys have horrible first dates)

Thank you for opening up to me late at night, when maybe you have had a bit to much to drink, about the girl back home you still “love”. Thank you for coming to my rescue when I just wanted to be walked to my door and he didn't understand the word no. Thank you for making me tougher. Thank you for letting me get my first taste of motherhood. Thank you for carrying up heavy boxes filled with snacks. Thank you for tutoring me. Thank you for checking my sugar when I didn't know how. Thank you for making me laugh after a bad day. Thank you for being the brothers I never thought I needed but am forever grateful for our first year together.

Next year, we may be scattered all throughout our campus, but theres always going to be the first boys you lived with, the boys who bring out the memories that last a lifetime. Memories that someday you'll think back to and staying up till 3 am with a drunk pitcher, and sewing on a button before formal, as moments you would do anything to have back.

Sincerely,

The girl in 508