A Letter To The Boy Who Broke My Best Friend's Heart

You don't know me, but I sure as hell know you.

4504

You probably don’t remember me; I’m the girl you met that one time at her house. I am her best friend.

You probably don’t know me, but I know you. I hear about every sweet text you send her and every date you took her on. I knew everything about you before I even met you. I also know every single thing you’ve said that made her cry and every problem you two have ever had. I’ve read every text message and heard every story.

I wish I could tell you that I’ve taken your side or thought highly of you but I have not. In fact, I find you irrelevant.

I wasn’t very surprised when you told her it was over, but of course, I acted like it. I saw it coming from a mile away. Why, you ask? Because I know guys like you. You aren’t the first to tell her she’s pretty and you won't be the last. You’re just a single fish in the large sea.

There have been many of you, but only one of me. I will never leave her side like so many of you have before. I’ve been there when she hated herself and when she acted like a 12-year-old. I was there in her awkward middle school phase and I’ll be there when she is 80 and can’t remember my name. I hear everything about every guy in her life and I hold her hand and buy her Ben and Jerry’s when they inevitably walk away.

Why do I stay, you ask? I stay because, unlike you and your kind, I can handle everything she could possibly throw at me and I know she would do the same thing for me. I see and acknowledge every little thing she does for me and do my best to reciprocate. She is my best friend, my shoulder to cry on, my therapist, and my motivation. She is my person.

She does the same for me. She hears about every boy in my life and knows them better than they know themselves. She tells me the truth even if it isn’t what I want to hear. She tells me to shave my legs and tells me my hair looks great. She sticks up for me and I stick up for her. In a world full of boys like you, we have each other’s backs no matter what.

I don’t hate you. I am not seeking revenge. I expected this from you. In order to get my respect as a best friend, you’ve got to do more than tell her “you got a nice rack” or buy her McDonald’s. You’ve got to respect her, know her goals and dreams, and recognize how beautiful she is inside and out. Basically, you need to be me in man form.

Unfortunately, you failed to gain my respect. I’ll always know your name and story, but that’s all you’ll ever be. Eventually, you’ll come up on a Wine Wednesday discussion and your name will be followed by a laugh and a sigh.

One day, I’ll respect and love the man my best friend falls in love with. One day, I’ll stand next to her and wipe her tears of happiness as she says “I do” to the most amazing man. One day, she’ll stand up for herself to idiots like you and realize she deserves the very best in life. Until then, cool it with the girls. Never text more than one girl and never make a woman feel like she is unworthy of you. One day, you’ll remember my best friend as “the one that got away.” She’s the best girl you could have ever met, but you don’t deserve her.

I wish her all the best and I wish you understanding.

Yours truly,

The one you won’t remember