A Letter To The Boy Who Broke Me But Taught Me So Much

A simple thank you will never quite do it.

24
www.chobirdokan.com

This is to the one boy who finally showed me what a real relationship should be like. Although it didn’t work out as planned, I believe it taught me a lot. Not only about what I want in a future relationship, but also about who I am and what I want to be. Things I never thought about before this special person came into my life.

Before this relationship, I couldn’t tell you what I wanted to do with my life after college. Sure, I know my major and all the things it has to offer... but I honestly never thought it all through. I knew I was here at college, paying thousands of dollars to get an education--but for what? My freshman year I spent more time partying and less time studying than anything. A social life was more important to me. I came into this relationship absolutely clueless, thinking it was just another boy to party and have fun with but leaving the relationship was harder than anything imaginable because through the short amount of time you were in my life you showed me more about myself than ever.

You taught me that school is important and that partying is not everything. Although it is fun, growing up and being responsible also has its perks. Making the grades and having a social life is extremely difficult but obtainable and so worth it. You gave me motivation to never want to skip a class, to study, and succeed in everything I did. I wanted to be just as determined to be successful as you were because, to me, this relationship was all I could ever think about and I didn’t want to fail to make you proud.

You showed me how to be myself. Never have I ever acted like my true self around a guy before. I think this is something all girls struggle with because of how afraid they are that their inner spunkiness could possibly scare boys away. You pulled me out of my box and proved to me that part of a relationship is breaking out of your shell and letting them see every piece you are so insecure of. It was nice to be able to share that with you, so thank you for never judging how crazy I was and still am.

Being with you was like entering a place I didn’t realize I had been missing in all my previous relationships. You were the only person I have ever known that accepted me for who I was--right in the moment, faults and all--and wasn’t waiting for me to become someone else. You gave me confidence in myself. Confidence that I still carry with me to this day.

You were great at being there for people. I watched you bend over backwards for your family and friends and it was a wonderful experience to know someone else who shared that same interest as me. I was not the only one who cared so much about other people to drop everything for them. It showed me that there are other people in the world with a huge heart and although we get treated like the worst sometimes, it is worth it to be there for them.

You cared. This taught me the most. No matter what you were doing you always succeeded to make sure I was happy. Whether it was bringing me food when I was broke and hungry, letting me join you and your friends when I was bored, or even just letting me pick the movie we watched on Netflix when I was sure to fall asleep before you were. You wanted what I wanted. You genuinely cared about everything that had to do with me and that I am forever thankful for. You showed me how a true boyfriend should really be. You should be proud. You made expectations for future boyfriends to come so much higher than before you came along.

You motivated me to do things I forgot about. My hobbies are a huge part of who I am and watching you dedicate yourself to yours made me realize how much I lost the love for mine. You helped me gain that passion back.

I could go on and on about how positive of an impact this relationship had on me and how much I wish I could go back. Even though we didn’t end up staying together, you still showed me so much. I could never thank you enough for doing what you did, although you probably didn’t even know you did anything. You walking into my life was the best thing that has happened to me so far in my college years. Although you broke me, I believe you came into my life for a reason. You made me who I am today and for that I will always be thankful.

“Sometimes people fall apart just to fall back together and sometimes the second time around always makes more sense. I can only hope that the universe has a second chance for us. But if not, thank you for all you already did.” –anonymous