To All Of The Sorority 'Babies'

To All Of The Sorority 'Babies'

Greek Life will change you.

224
To All Of The Sorority 'Babies'
Grace Nesseth

When I came into college the first thing on my mind was to join a sorority.

I had always known that, that was something that I wanted to be apart of. In high school I hadn't cared much about my grades because I was so focused on trying to fit in and having fun. I wanted people to look at me as being popular, and I missed out on what was most important. When I went through recruitment week I was so excited to finally be joining something bigger than myself. I found myself so pumped after the two open house rounds and couldn't wait to check my schedule. The next morning I opened up my phone and logged in and was absolutely crushed when I saw that only a few houses had accepted me back. I didn't know what to think. I had really awesome conversations with the other houses, or at least I thought, and didn't understand why I was dropped. I ended up leaving campus until bid day was over because I was too heart broken to watch everyone run home to their new sisters. After a couple of weeks I felt like I maybe was finally ok with not being in a sorority, I sat at home while everyone went to their Monday night dinners and watched Netflix by myself.

After a few sobbing phone calls to my mom during my second semester I realized that maybe I wasn't ok with not being in a sorority. My best friend told me that her sorority was open recruiting and that I should give it a shot. I kind of laughed and made a few comments about how I wouldn't fit in because they are all freaking perfect. I finally decided to give it a shot and went on a date with one of the alpha chi's. It was so easy to talk to her and I was so excited, but still, after being shot down before, didn't want to get my hopes up. I waited a few days until I got another message, they asked me to come to the house to talk to some more girls. I was so nervous I spent three hours picking out my outfit that was supposed to be "casual cute". HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK SOMETHING OUT FOR THAT!!!

I walked to Alpha Chi after my class and tried to keep myself from sweating too much, I composed myself and knocked on the door. I was so excited when I saw Savannah's sweet smiley face when I walked in. I was given a house tour and talked to another girl who soon became my mom. I was sold, I was so happy and could picture myself living in the house. That night I went home and there was no way I wouldn't be crushed if I didn't get a phone call. I sat in my bed and stared at my phone. It was almost midnight and I was about to accept defeat when I saw it ring. I kid you not I almost didn't answer it I was so scared. I answered it with a shaky hand, and on the other side of the line I heard savannah say that she wanted me to be apart of their sisterhood. I. Just. About. Died. I leaped off my lofted bed and ran up to my friends floor before I even hung up the phone. We were screaming and crying and jumping up and down and I knew that this was where I was meant to be. Every day since then it has just been even more obvious that I'm where I should be. Every women here is so strong and has such an open heart. No matter which door you turn to they will always accept you with open arms. I hope that when you open your bid day card you will jump for joy, and will walk through Alpha Chi with just as much excitement as nerves as you get ready for the next four years of your life.