A Letter to My Village People

A Letter to My Village People

"It takes a village to raise this one."
155

They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I have to say at least with me it did. From the people there in childhood to the people with me now I am beyond blessed to call these people friends. But they aren't just my friends; they have become my family. From telling me I was amazing to being there when I literally collapsed in their arms because things were too much. I just need to take a moment to say thank you to my many village people.

Thank you for being there. All of you were there for moments in my life big and small. From little to big, each of you has been there for a moment or two in my life. Whether it was a t-ball, basketball, or softball game; or a marching band competition; or when I got accepted onto college. None of those moments would have been the same without you.

Thank you for reminding me who I am. For reminding me when things would get rough who I am, and whose I am. For showing me unconditional love when you had your own families and children to care for. You "adopted" me into your families, and I put you in mine. You'll never know how much that means to me.

Just thank you for even saying, "It takes a village to raise Cherie Morse." And I"m not even sure if I laughed more the first time because most of my village is made of United Methodist Clergy, or if it's just that true. Because people question how I got to where I am, and it's always in the middle of a funny moment. Like when I'm telling someone how I fell getting out of the shower the other day, and they look at me and go, "How are you even still alive?" To which I laughed and responded, "My village people."

And finally, thank you for just being you. For loving me, for dealing with my sass, and for shaking your head when I hurt myself time and time again. For suggesting the bubble wrap outfit, which may not actually be a bad idea. For telling me to slow down and be a college kid (which I am finding out is actually a lot of fun), and telling me not to get caught up in the future. You just want to see me happy, and that is probably why I love all of you the most.

So, my village people, give yourself a round of applause. Because the next adventure I have in mind, oh will it be fun. And I have plenty of sass to go around.