A Letter to My Siblings on Their Senior Night

Your four years of high school basketball have gone by faster than I could’ve imagined.

2470
Mikayla Shamburger

Noah and Makenna,

This week you will be celebrating your basketball senior night. It will be the last time you step on your home court to play competitively.

As your sister who has been in the same position, know that it will be bittersweet, but let the joyful moments of the night reign over sad ones. Make the most of the night, take lots of pictures, and make sure to cherish every second. Take in the atmosphere, the fans, the smell of the popcorn in the hallways, and even the way the hardwood feels under your shoes.

Believe me when I say that you will remember your senior night for years and years. Make memories to last a lifetime this week.

Noah, you have the most self-less attitude I have ever seen. It has carried you far not only in basketball but also in life. You have always been a pass-first player and I admire that about you. You would prefer for your team to succeed more than you would like to succeed yourself. I don’t think I have ever met a better team player. You have worked tirelessly to improve and that is what got you so far. You are unbelievably coachable and an outstanding role-model to younger players.

From your freshman year, you went from being a very timid member of your team and have grown to be a confident, strong, and important competitor on your team. I am so amazed by everything you have accomplished and everything you have learned in your four years as a grizzly.

Makenna, you have been so fun to watch play for four years and even more fun to play with for two of those years. You are a natural born leader which makes you such a great captain and mentor on your team. Even as an underclassman, your presence on the team was needed and respected by everyone. You have more talent than you know and it has really shown your junior and senior years.

I appreciate your competitive nature and your intense desire to get the job done and that is why you have excelled in the game. You have grown into such a strong woman, mentally and physically, and I know your years as a basketball player have attributed to that. You have done such great things as a grizzly and I am so proud to call you my sister.

Your four years of high school basketball have gone by faster than I could’ve imagined. It was incredible to play alongside you two in high school and even more incredible to watch you blossom on your own and become amazing individuals on and off the court. Although I wish I was able to catch more of your games in person, I have loved getting to watch your games on livestream for the past two years. Always know that I am your biggest fan and I'll be cheering you on in every aspect of your lives. I am so proud of you two and I love you so much!

With lots of love,

Mikayla