An Open Letter To My Parents

An Open Letter To My Parents

From your crazy firstborn.

9
An Open Letter To My Parents
Kyndal Goss

Dear Mom and Dad,

Let me start by saying that I do not want anything — I am writing this just to say thank you. I know that since I was your firstborn, I was kind of like a "trial run." But here I am in my second year of college, and I seem to be doing just fine, so y'all must have done something right. These past 19 years wouldn't have turned out so well if it weren't for y'all. You both have kept me on track and made sure I have had everything that I have ever needed (and then some).

Thank you for always keeping me safe, even when I think you're being overprotective.

Thank you for holding me while I cry the night before a big test because I am so stressed, calling out flashcards to me and giving me encouraging advice.

Thank you for raising me so I know not to let boys treat me like crap, and to not allow mean girls to walk all over me. Thanks for threatening to break someone's legs for me. Because of you, I know how to stand up for myself, and I know I am worth much more than that.

Thank you for being my TV-watching friend and my workout buddy. I would be fat without afternoon runs with Dad or evening walks and Pilates with Mom.

Thank you for giving me a sibling. We get on each other's nerves, but we still love each other (sorry y'all have to hear us fight sometimes).

Thank you for always making sure I am well fed and have a roof over my head.

Thank you for giving me opportunities to go new places and try new things.

Thank you for raising me in church. I know where to spend my Sundays because of y'all. Thank you for being such good Christian role models.

Thank you for going through the drive-thru late at night with me to get ice cream or a cheeseburger — you really know the key to my heart.

Thank you for teaching me right from wrong. Because of you, I have good morals I will be able to teach my child one day.

Thank you for putting up with me. Sometimes I have a bad attitude because I am stressed out, but all y'all do is ask how you can help.

Thank you for taking care of me when I'm sick. I know I'm 18 years old and could probably do it myself, but you wait on me and take care of me anyway.

Thank you for believing in me. My goal is to go to medical school one day, and I get discouraged a lot of times. Y'all always have nothing but encouraging words to say to me that give me more motivation.

Thank you for being not only my parents, but also my best friends.

Thanks for everything. I may not say it enough, but I am truly blessed to have parents like you. I love y'all!

Love,

Your crazy firstborn