A Thank You To My Older Brother, Now That I'm Older

Thank you for always being there for me.

794
Brooke Beverley

Having an older brother is probably one of the best things and also one of the biggest struggles. He will call you a pain in the ass but in reality he's really yours.

You purposely do things to make each other mad. He ends up becoming one of your bestfriends and will always tell you the truth (even when you don't want to hear it). Its easy to take the bond you have together for granted, I know I did until I left for college. I have come to realize how much he has actually cared about me, always had my back, and was always there for me no matter what.

I know I haven't told him lately but here is a thank you letter to my big brother.

Dear Branden,

Thank you for being weird and obnoxious. You always make every memory interesting whether it be messing around in your cap and gown a few days before your college graduation, pushing me into the snow while taking picture, and my favorite was you making the fourteen hour drive to and from Colorado full of laughter. You always know how to make me laugh and you help me realize that I am truly the normal one.

No matter what time of day or what ever we are doing you always give me crap. It used to bother me when I was younger as I thought you were just being a mean big brother, now I fight you back and give it right back to you. You always made fun of me but honestly I want to say thank you for that, because it gives me an excuse to make fun of you right back.

As an older brother, you are kind of born into the role of protecting me. You have always been there for me. You have told me what people to stay away from, where is not safe to go, and what no to do at parties. As we all know how goofy and funny you really are, you really cared about me and looked out for me.

And while I am thanking you, I should also apologize for everything I put you through within the last eighteen years. Although we are five years apart you took the responsibility for a lot when we lived in the same house. From the house not being cleaned by the time our mom got home from work, me blaming you for breaking something, and for saying that I am the favorite child (we both already know this is still true). Also I am sorry for all the times I was an annoying little sister.

You are not afraid to give me a reality check and tell me how something really is. Having someone be there and able to tell me the truth and put me in my place I really value that.

As I am very thankful for everything you do for me, I am also very proud of the person you have become. Not only have you watched me grow up but I also have watched you. I have watched you race go karts, legend cars, graduate high school, graduate from college, move into your first house and so much more. You have accomplished so much and I am so proud of all you do and everything you have accomplished.

Thanks for being the older brother I never thought I wanted. I guess its okay I didn't get a sister after all.

I hope I have made you proud; you most definitely give your little sister a lot to be proud and thankful for.

Love you,

Brooke