An Open Letter To My Old Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Old Best Friend

From the time we got "lost" in the woods, to the time where I accidentally broke your bed.

6618
An Open Letter To My Old Best Friend
Unsplash

Dear old best friend,

To start off, I know these letters are pretty cliche, but I've got some pretty important things to say to you. So here it goes. I really do miss you. I know all these letters say something similar, but it is true. We didn't lose our friendship because we hated each other. We lost our friendship because we grew apart. Every time I saw you in the hallway, I couldn't help but be mad at the both of us. We allowed our friendship to disappear and now we are like strangers. You probably don't care about anything I'm saying in this letter, and that's fine, but I just wanted you to know that our friendship meant the world to me.

Those years when we were friends, you were my rock. I was going through a really tough time and you were always there for me. I regret that I never showed how grateful I was that you stuck by my side. You would never let me be in a mood for too long. Somehow, you always made me feel better; I'm still not sure how you were able to do that. You weren't just my best friend, your were my family. To this day, my mom still talks about you, wondering how you've been. I'm sad to say I never have any news for her.

The memories I have of us are pretty great. From the time we got "lost" in the woods, to the time where I accidentally broke your bed. Every memory I have, we had done something stupid that had made us laugh uncontrollably. Every memory I have, we argued about something equally as stupid. Every memory I have, we fought like little kids. I am so thankful for every single one. If it wasn't for you pushing me into all those stupid ideas, and vice versa, I doubt I would be the person I am today. Some of those memories are bitter sweet and others make me laugh until I can't breathe. We never had a dull moment in our entire friendship.

I'm not writing this letter hoping we can be friends again. We are both in two different stages of our lives, at two different colleges, and have completely changed since eighth grade. I'm not even sure if we would get along anymore. I just want you to know that I will always be here for you. It doesn't matter that we haven't had a proper conversation in years, it doesn't matter that we have new friends, it doesn't matter that you will probably never read this, or if you do, won't think it is about you; I will always be here for you. I don't care if you text me now or in five years, because once upon a time, we were inseparable. Wherever I was, you were with me. The type of friendship we had doesn't go away, at least not for me. You will always be my old best friend; The one I still tell stories about and the one who I had the best times with. I wish I had the courage to tell this all to you in person, but if I know anything about the friendship we had, we would just laugh at how cheesy this was. I know you will do great things in your future and remember that I will always be in your corner rooting for you.

Sincerely,

Your old best friend